Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-22-2012, 10:50 PM View Post #1 (Link) Is There an Evil?
thecollector (Offline)
Novice Writer

Location: I am only a figment of your imagination. Dismiss me as such.
Times Thanked: 65
I've pondered this question for a while now on my own.

You always hear of horrible events and actions that are described as "bad" or "evil". Think about it. If there are things that may be described as evil, does that necessarily mean there is an evil in the world? Take this how you will- logically or spiritually. However, also ask yourself is there a good? Are there things in this life we should not tamper with because they are, indeed, evil?

Discuss.

"One day, I'd like to be the last remaining magical thing in this un-magical world. Right now, I could be anything; a powder keg or a box of cornflakes. But one day, I'll be magic, and magic will suit me as I explode in every direction like a fire cracker in a box of crayons."
- The Psychotherapy of a Teddy Bear Strangler
Old 07-22-2012, 11:11 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Bowie20049 (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 83
http://www.youngwritersonline.net/showthread.php?t=7257 <---

Click Me
Originally Posted by Young Writers Online View Post
i before e except after c unless e before i because forget you that's why

ಠ_ಠ Did you know that: I has an anime list /人◕‿‿◕人\?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:30 AM View Post #3 (Link) re: is there an evil?
Escher (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 2
anyone can claim there is an "bad" or "evil" in the world but the person committing the act of evil or being called evil himself may not necessarily agree with another claim of evil. it all depends on the point of view and opinion. there can be an evil, but it may not necessarily be one we all agree on.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 AM View Post #4 (Link)
dade30 (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 1
Being good I believe is innate in humans, there are few factors that had made him do unpleasant things. Those factors in able him to decide to use his free will to do it. These factors are internal and external such examples are the circumstances where the person is at, his mental state, the influences he had out from peers and others around him.as I have read in an article, everything that is created and present really have its opposite side, its bad side. All we have to do is to weigh and think what is right from wrong we all have this, intelligence.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:38 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Sky (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 7
Actually this is one of the two central concepts in the book I'm writing currently.

My take on the subject is that there is indeed no good and no evil; no black and no white; no right and no wrong. I believe in what I call subjective morality. A simple definition of this is what is evil to you ultimately boils down to something that you would not want to happen to yourself.
Humans are creatures trapped in our perception. Perception is the universe, because it is all we will ever know. Unfortunately (or perhaps, fortunately) my perception is different from your perception. When we see an event happening we are not seeing the same thing; we all view things a bit differently. Just like how John Green once said that no book is the same to everyone as we all perceive and handle the events within it differently.

Riding on the idea of perception, as we are trapped within what our senses tell us, the world our mind creates for us, we eventually have to route everything back to ourselves or our experiences. This is obvious; if we didn't do this we would never be able to comprehend anything because we would have no base in which to build the world around us.
The flaw in this: many humans assume that because their culture, upbringing, or logic (which is largely based on the two former) tell us something is wrong or evil, then it is. What I'm saying is that when humans think something is evil, we assume it is evil. You see how strange things start to get when you consider perception?

But because everyones perception of the world is different, and because all absolutes are based on absolute perfection in observation (1+1 has always been observed to equal 2, and therefore it is assumed to be 2) morals and good vs evil are not absolute. Nothing is "good" because nothing has ever been universally observed to be beneficial or correct in terms of human action; and the same exists for evil. When I see action X, I see good. You see evil. However, when I see 1+1, I see 2, and so do you.

That is my rant for today. Please inform me if I left a gaping whole in my logic somewhere, its quite possible I forgot to mention something. I'm quite flaky, to be honest.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 PM View Post #6 (Link)
NightCreature (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
It depends on the point of view. You may not agree with me, but this is how I think of it:

Imagine a war.
One army has a mind set to believe that the opposite army is evil,
while that army is thinking the same thing about them. In war there is no good and evil.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:08 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Libra (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 5
If you think about it, life has no good nor evil. I mean every thing happens for a reason, right? Saying that, even if someone does something bad, like kills someone for example, there must be some reason which drove him to do that. I mean look at it logically, if he is a psychopath, he must've been traumatized as a child or something. Maybe the guy he killed did something equally bad to him like killing his friend. You can make anyone look "evil" by victimizing the other guy. In the end its all just shit that happened because of other shit that happened because of more shit that happened and so on. Basically life is just a person with diarrhea. And there really is no use separating it into categories of good and evil cause in the end of the day its just shit (that happened because of other shit that happened...)

Also: Tits rule. :|

Last edited by Libra; 08-24-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:45 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Lizzie (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 41
Evil, good, they don't exist. They are concepts we as humans have created to judge and justify the hating or loving of something, or something like that. To justify something. Animals don't have concept of evil (as we know), so it cannot truly exist outside human knowledge. Yet something like hunger is real, because it's a common necessity that isn't created by us, and is constant. Does that make sense?

Critiques upon request.

Twins with Lykaios.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:50 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Spiders (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 11
If you can define what is right, then you can define what is wrong. Since we can't define what is ultimately right, we can't define what is ultimately wrong. We can find similarities in our reasoning, but we will never get to a solid, unbreakable conclusion.

Yes, I believe there is 'evil'; that which does not follow the law of God. And humanity in general, because of the fall. All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, so all are inherently evil. Is there much point me debating about that?

...no.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:31 PM View Post #10 (Link) A (CONTROVERSIAL)word from the Hunter
Demon Hunter (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 28
Originally Posted by Spiders View Post
If you can define what is right, then you can define what is wrong. Since we can't define what is ultimately right, we can't define what is ultimately wrong. We can find similarities in our reasoning, but we will never get to a solid, unbreakable conclusion.

Yes, I believe there is 'evil'; that which does not follow the law of God. And humanity in general, because of the fall. All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, so all are inherently evil. Is there much point me debating about that?

...no.
THIS MIGHT BE CONTROVERSIAL.

Atheist POV: Nothing is right, nothing is wrong, because we cannot define either one. It is relative. In fact, now that we have ventured there, there is no reality, because we cannot define reality - we don't even know where we came from - sure, there's the Big Bang, but we dont know where all the matter came from in order to make the big bang. so no, there is no good or evil BECAUSE NOTHING IS REAL. People invented religion so they can have something to believe in and something to blame for the shit that happens.

Christian POV: There is good and evil, because GOD SAID SO. God created everything. God is good, and he has placed a set of rules upon us that we must obey because we are his, and it is our duty as human beings. This is why there is a Good: God. Ever notice how the farther people get from God, the more this 'Evil' seems to dominate?

The Hunter's POV: Why the heck do we wonder about such things? (i have not said what i mean; read on.) Why do we live?? i hate philosophy. I'm not saying what i mean. Read on.
Why the heck dont i just grab a gun and shoot someone? huh? would ya'll do that? why not? why not, if nothing is good or evil? what holds you back?!? conscience, you would say. The Hunter laughs at this. What caused conscience, if i may ask? the Big Bang? oh, ok. (BTW, this last phrase is my infamous sarcasm). So, the random explosion of mass with unknown origin, a total accident, is why we shouldnt kill someone. Hm. Dont you find this humorous??

Think, humans. we've been gifted with logic (and sarcasm, if you're like, me). What is the reason for conscience? there has to be a good, right? elsewise, why the #&$\@ dont we all give up trying to do anything that's right? Why do we even write books with heroes and antagonists if there is no good and evil?

I will crit upon request, but... Acknowledge: Though my punches may be soft, i will not pull any.

Professional Artist. Musician. Singer. Downhiller. Magician. No, I'm not a grown up yet, but I would give it all to be able to write the way I want to.

A Quick Reality Check
How to write Cliche Fantasy
ELEMENTAL: Characters.