Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:01 PM View Post #1 (Link) Toddlers and Tiaras...Is It Right/ Acceptable?
Brookey (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Ok so, I personally love to watch this show. But at the same time, i think it's wrong how SOME of the parents force their kids into trying to look like Barbies and all that, and that in some cases the child has to wear uncomfortable/hurtful clothing. I understand how some of the parents actually consider what their child is feeling and stuff. I think that that show should be allowed and its just the parent's/child's choice if to be forced into doing pagents and things of that sort. I would just really like to see some of other peoples opinions. Thanks.
~Brooke.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:02 AM View Post #2 (Link)
LumpyKoala (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 8
http://ameliaalisoun.wordpress.com/2010/06/07/249/

Above I contribute a link on the show so people who have not watched it can contribute their opinions on this television series.

I've seen about seven to ten episodes of that show and it is admittedly entertaining. It is extremely notable that the (parents) are devoted to the point of completely, utterly obsessive. They are willing to dish out thousands on beautifying their children for these pageants. They spray tan their children, have them get manicures, pedicures, smother them in layers of cosmetics and body/skin care, make them wear wigs, and practice strutting, poses, and walking in little heels. The also spend hours working on routines and cute little stage shenanigans to please the audience.

First of all, these parents don't get into pageanting knowing the lengths in which they have to go to be winners, and most don't even intend to make it a regular habit when they enter their little angel into a pageant. But their sweet little girl does well, and then they think "Hey, she's pretty good. She could do this again." They want them to get further, get better, and achieve more. They see their child has potential. They see that THEY have potential at making their girl into Little Miss Denver, or whatever title they might achieve. They like seeing their children win, and when they have children that do well, they feel like winners, too.

Soon, they start entering more pageants, but things aren't going quite so well. Why? Because there were some parents, at some time, that took it to the lengths of spray tanning and wigs. Then the other parents started doing it. Then 3/4 of them started doing it. And there's little El Natural, left hidden behind all the other girls big flashy wigs. They go from just entering their kids in pageants, to practicing for pageants and trying to act and look cuter. Then they start buying more extravagant dresses and outfits. Then come the wigs, and the make-up. Soon they are spray tanning and teaching them how to dance and sing like little baby barbie dolls with the fantasy life. Why? Because that was what they had to do to keep up with the competition, and once they became obsessed, they HAD to do it.

People will gamble themselves onto the streets and then dead, you know. We obsess. we need. we want. we need to feel gratified. This is just one way these people end up doing that, out of many ways.

What do I think of it? It's silly. It's a waste of good time that these kids could be volunteering and helping others if there parents need to feel satisfied through their children that badly. If the kid enjoys it, smother them in make up and put wigs on them. I don't care. They are just being forced to be entertainers, just like famous child actors and such. So be it. I still think it's just a big waste of time that could be spent doing something meaningful.

Call me Lulu, biaaa.

She's walking alone down a street full of life,

The smell of her cigarette settling in her hair.
To her the city was most beautiful at night,
where the music washed away her every care.

Last edited by LumpyKoala; 05-22-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:47 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Mary Elizabeth (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 2
I don't exactly agree with pageants for children. It's excusable if the child chooses to do it, but most of the time, it seems to be a parent living through their child.

Also, what they're teaching their children isn't right. That they're only beautiful if a judge at a table says so, and if you have thick layers of makeup and frills.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:12 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 241
Originally Posted by Mary Elizabeth View Post
I don't exactly agree with pageants for children. It's excusable if the child chooses to do it, but most of the time, it seems to be a parent living through their child. .
I don't know if I'd even agree with this. I mean, the kids are so young they can't possibly understand the full ramifications of their decision. There's a reason toddlers don't live on their own, after all. And frankly, I'm usually all "different strokes for different folks" but this can just get utterly disgusting. In fact, I would say this is the most disgusting thing I've seen all month (and I found a half-eaten squirrel corpse a week ago). I just can't look at that and not think this is just wrong, even if it is a part of their culture.

"Dolla make me holla".

*Shoots self*

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:43 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Mary Elizabeth (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 2
Originally Posted by Infinity_Man View Post
I don't know if I'd even agree with this. I mean, the kids are so young they can't possibly understand the full ramifications of their decision. There's a reason toddlers don't live on their own, after all. And frankly, I'm usually all "different strokes for different folks" but this can just get utterly disgusting. In fact, I would say this is the most disgusting thing I've seen all month (and I found a half-eaten squirrel corpse a week ago). I just can't look at that and not think this is just wrong, even if it is a part of their culture.

"Dolla make me holla".

*Shoots self*
You have a point. I should've said that it's acceptable if the parents don't force the child into it.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 PM View Post #6 (Link)
NightCreature (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
The show kind of scares me in a way that these girls wear those severely skimpy outfits in front of an audience and the whole world. I think the parents them selves should be ashamed, you never know who could be watching those little girls parade around in bikinis on stage. The show is entertaining in some way, but thinking about the con's makes me not want to watch it.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:16 AM View Post #7 (Link)
Pony123 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 9
I agree the show is entertaining but in one episode the mom had her kid pretending to smoke a cigarette! Repulsive!

Wind in My Face

Old 09-26-2013, 04:07 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
I find it disturbing and abusive, and I think it sexualizes children.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:49 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Rose (Offline)
Crit Trash Collector

Times Thanked: 454
Not entertaining at all for me. It just makes me feel sorry for those girl's innocence and how it's being sucked out of them by their own folks.

Also. What's so entertaining or beautiful about this? Yuck. This isn't even worthy of being described as barbie-like.

Closed Thread