Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 05-09-2010, 05:29 PM View Post #1 (Link) Writers' Block: A guide to get rid of it
Emsidian (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 1
Writers' Block

Hmm, having writers' block? Ah, what a joy. You want to write dearly, but can't, oh the horror. Some people say writers' block is just a writer being lazy, this statement I completely disagree on. Sometimes inspiration won't come to you or you are running out of good ideas. Even if you are coming up with ideas, you may have nothing to complete it with. First, think of what type of writers' block your having. Character Writers' Block or Story line Writers' block. This just means you can't think of characters or the plot. Let's take a look at some character help.

Characters
  • Observe people, no I don't mean stalk them and find out every detial to write a story. Take their personality, personality changes the story of how your character acts around the plot. You can even take their hobbies and what they look like, but don't make it seem like your using friend's/family/strangers life in story mode.
  • Dreams. Sometimes we have dreams and characters within it are people who don't exsist or represent others. Write the people down, even if you have no idea what to do with them, you never know when you'll have a good plot without good characters
  • Yourself, take yourself and put you into the story. Don't make that obvious. Change up your 'you character' to give the story spice, or keep it 'yourself' the same. Whatever fills the empty important character you need.
  • Read, sometimes there are characters you like alot in the book because of their personality and how that changes the story. Take that personality, it's not copying the character because many people have some similar type of personality traits.

Next, let's move on to Plot help.
  • Think of a situation, put yourself in that spot. Such as "The Hunger Games" for an example. A battle for life. How would you feel? What would you do? With some questions like this, you'll have nice, long, interesting answers. Are these answers good enough to expand on and tell the whole story of how you or a character you answered these questions for? If there not, try again with a different character (one with an oppsite personality from the last), answer them with answers that fit that character, not your self.
  • Read alot. Reading various books that aren't with in the same series gives you an idea of types of story line's you like to read. Start to write after you read something good, but don't copy what you read. Something like it, but different. With a different twist, different attitudes from different characters, ect.
  • Take an event that's ha
  • Have you had an interesting dream that seemed like a fantasy novel? Write it down, come back to your dream and write about it. Expand it.

More will be added soon. I hope I helped.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:06 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Ciel (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
Cool! I'll have to check this out when I have writers block.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:40 PM View Post #3 (Link)
ManyIdeas (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 8
Some intresting idea there XD I'll give them a go if I ever stumble upon writers block
Old 09-01-2010, 07:28 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Valencian (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 0
I don't think there is such a thing as writer's block. It's just when a writer gets lazy, has too many things going on to concentrate or when a writer isn't surrounding themselves with enough stuff to give them inspiration.

But if any of you encounter this so-called 'writer's block' music always gives me inspiration

Love your enemies. It makes them so damned mad!

Need your piece of work critted? Or just feel like a chat?

Whatever it is feel free to VM or PM me anytime. I'm always open!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 AM View Post #5 (Link)
WiSe (Offline)
Literary Newbie

i wonder if thee is anything that works for lyrics, as opposed to the conventional story
Old 12-27-2010, 05:32 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Rapsca (Offline)
Novice Writer

Writers block can be worked through - just keep writing and something will come out and get you on your way again. Personally, I use self-hypnosis - works every time.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:46 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Winter (Offline)
Banned

I always blow bubbles. I don't know why it works but it does.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 PM View Post #8 (Link)
julio_w (Offline)
Literary Newbie

That's some pretty good, and detailed advice for getting over writer's block. Your post is definitely a lot better than some of the articles I see out there on the same subject.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Shooting Stars (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Location: Why do you want to know where I live? Do you intend to stalk me?
Times Thanked: 4
This is some good advice. Thanks. <3
Old 05-16-2011, 07:54 AM View Post #10 (Link)
bookworm (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 151
Thanks for the advice, but I think writing block is writing block and it has to go away by itself.