Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Reply  Find Chapters

Old 05-14-2013, 11:30 PM View Post #1 (Link) A Summer's End Chapter 2
Sky (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 7
Serious content warning:
This is a fictional story of tragedy and abuse involving minors. Viewer discretion is STRONGLY advised.

Also, swearing. But I mean, if you can handle the child abuse I'd hope you can handle a little strong language.

Chapter Two
“Memory in Slanted Sepia”

Even as she aged internally Katie always possessed that strange girlish qualia, a sense of smallness that permeated her being in entirety; inseparable was it from her personhood. She was, in those warm late summer days that still rot in my memory, a respectable eleven years, yet she favored a late onset of womanhood (much to my joy) in all but her internal mechanisms. Her body was masked under the dreamlike willow from my starved gaze by a loose, light purple shirt that fluttered as her hair and the looming branches in the breeze, wrapping around her smooth shoulders and accentuating over the subtle cascade of curves: slight breast then a fall, humble belly then up and over narrow hips cloaked in a sin-white silk skirt that drifted up her thighs over her knobbly knees and bowed legs.

And her eyes, god how they taunt me. Sharp and confident and boldly brown, a slight thin smile in them, deadly as motive and twice as material. Could I have loved you for nothing else, let it have been your eyes.

I drifted towards her with Jeremy and Emily. “Katie,”

She let out a single, airy laugh. “Yeah.”

I smiled. “It’s... it’s good to see you, dirtbag.”

“Shitlord.”

“You already used that one.”

“Right. Cockmuffin.”

“Birdshit sandwich.”

“Ass-licking koala dick.”

“Japanese necrophiliac sex-bot.” She smiled, and in that instant it felt like it had been no time at all since I’d last been with her. I wanted to laugh out loud, a blind maniac, my joyful princess and I her long wrought little prince. She was, I choke to describe, brilliantly herself. She was not of any other label but her own; a perfect prime number indivisible. Brilliantly, exuberantly Katie. “Oh, hey Emily.”

Emily stood steadfast by Jeremy. “Um, hi Katie. Are you good?”

“I’m a motherfucking ball of sunshine. Yourself?”

Emily was definitely looking a bit scared of Katie. “...okay.”

Katie smiled again luminously and her eyes wandered up to mine. “Anyway Davey, I’ll see you. Got to go check on the twin. She’s probably hanging from a tree by her ankle somewhere without me.” Before turning to go Katie, lovely Katie, boldly illustrious Katie, skipped up to me and pulled me into a tentatively close embrace, holding on in clenched fists the riff of my shirt. Her face nuzzled into my chest and I wrapped my arms around her, doing all I could not to kiss her on the top of her head or worse, tip her chin up and sample her soft lips, her quiet cheek, there in the red and the glare. She giggled, squeezing me, then reached up to tousle my hair girlishly. Her eyes were unburdened and warm. She broke off and ran into the murk of the woods behind me. An instant of joy draws itself out to an eternity in fermented hindsight as an infinitesimal and dimensionless point of heat and light. Immortality lives here, in this dark hold. My words, these pages, this cursed ink, its vessel.

I wished I could go with her, but we had to at least meet up with the other leaders first. Emily kept following us though, and I asked her why she wasn’t leaving with Katie.

Emily looked kind of weirdly at the grass. “She’s crazy, I think. It’s weird that she’s gone crazy.” Emily and Katie used to be really close friends when they were little. They always used to come over to Jeremy’s house and we’d play. Not anymore though. Not for a while. “She still likes you, and me kind of. But you more now.”

I had known Katie a while longer than she had. It wasn’t insane that she’d like me more, even under normal circumstances (should I be so blessed.) “I think you could still be friends.”

“No.” and like that she dropped the subject. Emily looked up at the clouds and breathed in the warm summer air. I suppose she didn’t want to talk about sad or hard stuff right then. It was all too obscenely beautiful. We both wanted everything to be beautiful.

Emily giggled and poked my arm, jumping ahead. “Come on, Davey, I’ll race ya!”she said, and bolted off through the field.

I shouted, calling technicality on the grounds that she had a head start, and raced after her. I never said she wasn’t beautiful. I ran up, quickly catching up to her, laughing. Her red hair was whipping over her tan shoulders and down her back, her tiny arms pumping with conviction. She was pretty fast for a kid, but I was easily pulling ahead of her. Then she dove and tackled me to the ground. We both tumbled across the grass, laughing our asses off when Jeremy tripped and nearly landed on both of us. That only made us laugh more.

“Clumsy motherfucker, Jeremy!” She shouted in her high strung voice.

“Shut up bitch, I’m top heavy!” I was pretty sure the entire camp could hear the three of us laughing there in the grass.

The head counselor, this thirty something guy named Rod, found us all sprawled on the lawn. He was a pretty nice guy, a sort of youth leader at Jeremy’s church. His hair was stocky and alive, sticking up at impossible angles all over his scalp. He was a quiet, mellow sort of guy, not really fit to handle children in my opinion (far too nice). He didn’t say much to us, content just leading us kindly through the camp to the place where the rest of our group was staying, a small collection of cabins near the lake.

Emily finally ran off to look for her friends while Rod walked Jeremy and me to a campfire in front of the main cabin. All the other leaders, teenagers like myself, were sitting around it. There were about eight in all, good well-bred Christian kids exhibiting varying levels of indifference. I didn’t really know any of them too well, probably for the better.

But then I saw Courtney leaning over some guy’s chair at the end, her long brown hair in its usual caravan of decrepity. Her gaze, cavernously green under a pair of glasses as I remember, was low, flickering tongues of fire reflecting off the rims. She looked up as we scuffed towards them, flashing me a brief smile. I don’t think I smiled back. Seeing her again, here, was too strange for me.

“Jer and Davey’s here, guys!” one guy said, around the fire. The others looked up. “C’mere guys, we were ‘bout to start dollin’ out the cabins.”

“I say Cam takes the one with the Taylor twins.” Jen said. She was blonde and tall and way too sure of herself. I really hated girls like that. “Those girls are little devils with pig tails for horns.”

“Nah, let Jer get them,” Cam said. “It’s what he gets for showin’ up late.”

“He can’t handle those two. He’ll be castrated before morning.” Courtney said. She was a pretty small girl. She was kind of a nerd, like me, big on literature. And she kept looking at me, like she expected me to go up to her and greet her like some long lost brother. I don’t want to bore you with a sob story really, but we were friends a while ago. We weren’t anymore.

Jeremy spoke up. “God guys. I can take them. I’ve known ‘em since they were like seven. I’ll handle them easy.” Not to mention the fact that I had known them since approximately birth.

“C’mon Jer. Don’t get crazy here. You’re in over your head.” I said. Sure, he’d known them. But Katie and Red respected Jeremy about as much as a pimple. Only fit to be squeezed.

He turned to me. “Yeah, and Davey here will help me. They love him. We’ll lead their troop together so that I can show him the ropes and stuff. The two of us can handle those girls easy.”

Courtney looked at Jeremy, apparently legitimately concerned. “Seriously Jer. You don’t have to go and do this. It’s fine, one of the girls will take them. And I’m never said that you-”

“You think I can’t handle this and I can. C’mon Davey, I’ll show ya around before the rest of the kids get here. “

“Jeremy, I’ve already seen,”

“Just C’mon!” he said, and he stormed off.

I just shrugged at the other leaders and ran to follow him.

If you’ll let yourself believe it, the first person I can ever remember seeing was a nymphet. Naturally I didn’t know this at the time. I sometimes wonder if that initial contact, then my friendships with truly beautiful children in the malleability of my youth, Bell, Katie, Courtney, Red, later Emily, molded me later into the creature I am today, was then. Or did God truly create this strange chimera body in which my soul is eternally entrapped?

I followed Jeremy, walking passively aggressive and paced, as he scraped down a dirt path towards the sunlight. Of course we’d seen all of the grounds before; he knew that. But I felt it was best to let him run. It often was. Movement is a mystical thing. It sways to throbs of passion and explodes in fits of unidentifiable rage. Movement is not progress but our bodies, simple things as they are, long for it when we feel trapped. Movement is the translation of unspeakable emotion deep in our flesh into physical manifest. We thirst for it like rain and fear it like tempest. So I didn’t quite mind following. I knew this was his only way of telling anyone, me, god, the trees and the dirt, of his inner tensions. I should have pitied him.

Rather than a smooth transition of sand and stone the verdant bank broke off suddenly into the breadth of the lake, sparkling brilliantly in the sunlight. Not many kids were around, so it was easy to spot three young unsprung lazing near the bank. Emily sat a bit apart from the other two near the water, turning stones to ripples over the surface. Jeremy continued into the woods and I walked towards the girls.

Both Katie and Emily brightened as I sat down on the grass beside them. Emily looked relieved, like she’d been waiting for me. She started to tell me me this really long, really loud story about these other girls she’d seen a minute ago. She was the kind of kid who really moved when she talked, her arms flailing and crimson hair whipping madly around as she told me about how Julie and Deniley were kissing behind Bankside Cabin, how Delaney was wearing this super low cut top that totally showed her boobs when she was bending over, how they shouldn’t bunk together because they’d have babies or something. She was a funny kid, she really was.

Katie sat there quietly, sprawled in the verdure with her genetically identical sister Red, though in truth you could recite an almanac on their differences. Red’s hair was tightly bound over her head and wore low cut jeans gracelessly under a pink summer dress, while her sister’s hair fell apart over her in long strait streams as of consciousness, entrancing in their dance down her face and over her back.

Then as Emily was talking Katie let out a long, drawn out yawn, sat up and planted herself on my lap. “Katie!” I said, feigning apprehension. “what are you doing?”

“Oh what, aren’t you happy to see me? It’s been about for-ev-er since we’ve hung out.” Emily sat staring at us strangely, and Katie settled herself further against me. “I know you missed me.”

I bit my tongue painfully until I tasted metal. “Whatever, crazy. Get off of me.” I grabbed her skinny body with one arm and tried to retch her off me but instead she pulled me on to the ground on top of her, laughing. I smiled. “Damn it Katie, Let go of me!” She only laughed harder. She grabbed me by the back of my neck, fingers coursing through my hair, then leaned to whisper in my ear.

“Because I’ve missed you, shit head,” I could feel her breath on my face, her thin body veiled under my hands, arching up to meet mine. She pulled her face closer to mine, forehead pressing against my own, and,

A distant horn went off and Katie jumped to her feet. “Oh, guess we got to go. See you Davey.” She pecked me on the cheek and skipped away, leaving me dazed on the grass. Emily turned before she ran to follow. She looked worried.

I guess she was right to be worried, in the end.

Last edited by Sky; 05-16-2013 at 03:31 AM.