Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-20-2018, 08:12 PM View Post #1 (Link) Writing a contemporary novel in 3rd person
OllieLauren (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Hi! I'm currently writing a novel centered around a boy after he and his father have moved in with his uncle and cousin because his mother has passed away. It centers around him adjusting to his new surroundings, dealing with his emotional struggles, weight, and mental illness, as well as discovering his sexuality and finding a way to accept himself.
The problem I'm having is that when I begun writing in 1st person, the character sounds, well, frankly ridiculous, and I don't know how to speak in the moment as well as speaking in an overall sense about what has happened in his life.
I know 3rd person is very rare in contemporary novels, but do you think that format would work? This story is really special and personal to me, as this character is a more interesting version of me coming to terms with my sexuality and my mothers death, and I want to the novel to be not just readable, but good and I've found I write better in third person. Would anyone recommend this? And if I do, should I venture on the other main character, who is the protagonists love interest? I've never read a contemporary like that so I just don't know how well it would work. Opinions?