Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 10-19-2011, 05:33 AM View Post #131 (Link)
numberlessdreams (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 2
Perhaps this is a dumb question and I missed it somewhere, but because I am curious: what, exactly, is a "crit sheriff?"
Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 AM View Post #132 (Link)
Julian (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 78
Someone who moderates the critiques in the writing section---deeming its quality. If graded as unsatisfactory, the user will receive a warning and stories posted with the points gained shall be temporarily closed until the user expands their critique or makes an entirely new one that must be better than the last one.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 PM View Post #133 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
Crit Sheriffs are basically moderators with powers only over the writing section. They're brilliant critiquers themselves, so they're good people to ask if you're having any critique/writing related issues. They're also all very nice people, so you should chat with them anyway.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 PM View Post #134 (Link) Appropriate story(s)?
Morbid Curiosity (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Hey, I write Christian-Fiction, horror, thrillers, and kinda darker stories. Some of my stories can be fairly dark, not exactly gruesome, but just dark. I was wondering what the rules are for that?
Old 10-29-2011, 04:23 PM View Post #135 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 121
Since this is a site for young writers, we do have policies against explicit sex and obscene violence, but when it comes to practice, the line between literary merit and unnecessarily graphic description is often blurred. If you are writing sex for the sake of sex or violence for the sake of violence, you may want to post your work elsewhere.

But it doesn't sound like you're writing anything remotely close to that. If you're worried about the content, you may add a disclaimer at the top of your work, warning readers about the nature of your stories.

My mother is a fish.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:40 PM View Post #136 (Link)
Julian (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 78
Unless there is an excess of eroticism (sexploitazion) or unnecessary expletives (badwordploitazion), there is not any concrete rule regarding that kind of shtuff.

Fanfic is obviously not allowed too.

And unnecessary violence (like raping someone and explicitly describing the scene) isn't really allowed here.

1)Because of the users' age.

2) It's basically bad literature.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:58 PM View Post #137 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Fanfic is obviously not allowed too.
Actually I think you're wrong, Julian. I'm pretty sure that here, as long as you make clear that the characters are copyrighted, you can post fanfic.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:28 AM View Post #138 (Link)
avrillavinge2000 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
one quick question how do i post stories that ive written
Old 12-27-2011, 02:02 PM View Post #139 (Link)
OrionRising (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 21
At the top of the page you will find a list of tabs that should say "Forum" "Writing" "Groups" and "Chat"

Click the "Writing" tab. Now, browse quickly through that forum and look at other peoples look because before you can post your own work you must do a few critiques of other peoples work. To get an idea of how to organize/write a critique check out other peoples critiques, especially long standing members or critiques by moderators and critique sheriffs. Also remember to check out the Critique Guidelines.

After completing two or three good critiques you will have enough points to post some of your work. To post your work click on the section it belongs in (realistic short stories, fantasy short stories, realistic novels, etc). Near the top of the page there should be a small box that says "NEW THREAD." Click on that and copy and paste your work into the box provided (makes sure it is proofread and legible. If it is multiple paragraphs be sure to hit enter twice between each paragraph). Then scroll down and hit "Submit" and your work will be posted.

Good luck!

Witting Poetry

Just because there isn't much there doesn't mean it isn't worth a quick read!
Old 01-18-2012, 05:09 AM View Post #140 (Link)
ScarlettEmerald (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 2
Hello all! So, I finally got enough points to post my writing, and put in over 13,000 words, but when I clicked post, it told me I didn't have enough characters and the text box was blank. Luckily, I had copied it before clicking post, so I was able to just paste it back in and try again, but it just keeps happening!!! PLEASE HELP!!!