Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 05-11-2011, 01:16 AM View Post #121 (Link)
Alice Glitterhorn (Offline)
Crit Sheriff

Times Thanked: 76
I think that if you keep posting in the same thread people tend to lose interest, or they think that since there are a higher number of posts in that thread that you've already been critiqued enough. I'd recommend making a new thread for each chapter. But try to space out the chapters over a few weeks, or at least until you have a good two/three critiques on previous chapters.

I think of you naked, rimbaud drinking, and how lovely my hair is

They sailed away, for a year and a day,
To the land where the bong-tree grows;
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood,
With a ring at the end of his nose,

Word Count: 10000/50000
Old 05-11-2011, 02:59 AM View Post #122 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
Originally Posted by MarkusErzahler View Post
I joined a few days ago, and I've been exploring the site and trying to figure everything out on my own if I could. I do have one question though. I am currently working on a fantasy novel and I posted the prologue on the member only novel forum. I plan on posting my future chapters as well (I am a little over halfway done with chapter I). Should I keep posting on the same post as the prologue or create new threads with new titles?

Thanks,
Mark
I think I'm qualified to answer this question, considering I've written seven novels and posted about four of them online. I've tried posting them all different ways. My first novel I posted it all in one thread. That got messy. Really messy. Keeping it all in one thread sounds nice and neat, but it makes finding different chapters a pain in the butt, unless you want to hiperlink them all in the first post, which is slightly better, but still leaves your thread messy. For another novel, I posted all the chapters in different threads. That seemed to me to be a bit much. It kept everything separate, which was easier because every critique for say chapter three was in the same place, except then you end up with tons of threads depending on how many chapters you have.

Something else you might want to consider is posting two or three or so chapters in one thread, that way you don't have twenty threads, but you also don't have one huge thread. As Alice said, when you post a novel all in one thread, people don't always want to look at it, thinking there are already people critiquing it. And sometimes the people you do have critiquing it don't realize that they've missed a chapter.

Either way you choose to post your novel, a good rule when dealing with longer literature is to not post the next chapter until you've gotten at least two critiques on the previous chapter. Waiting for three or more critiques is even better, though sometimes you might have to wait a long time, so I usually try to stick with two critiques before posting the next section.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein

Old 05-11-2011, 04:22 PM View Post #123 (Link)
MarkusErzahler (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
Thanks for the answers Majyk and Alice, they really helped.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:33 AM View Post #124 (Link)
MarkusErzahler (Offline)
Novice Writer

Another question: It's taking a while to get full a critique of my work. It's a pretty long passage, so I realize this is normal, but is there something I can do to speed up the process? I don't mind trading reviews with someone else writing a novel or something. So if you or someone you know wants to do something like that could you let me know, or is there a forum for this stuff that I don't know about?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-13-2011, 02:04 AM View Post #125 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
You might try talking with members on the site and forming some kind of relationship with them. That way you can always ask them for a crit and what not in exchange for a crit. Start poking around and getting to know people. Head into the chatroom or something. Check the social groups.

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:44 AM View Post #126 (Link)
pygmyvillage (Offline)
Banned

Times Thanked: 2
If I were writing a book, could I post its chapters as a series of short stories? And is fan fiction considered plaguerism?
Old 06-04-2011, 02:30 AM View Post #127 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
Originally Posted by pygmyvillage View Post
If I were writing a book, could I post its chapters as a series of short stories?
I suppose you could, though I don't see why you would. If you want to post each chapter in its own thread, no one's stopping you. (I've done that with one of my novels. I gave each chapter its own thread. That gets to be a bit much, if you have more than ten chapters, so I recommend having two or three chapters per thread. Unless you want the entire novel in one place, which can get crowded and messy.) But if you're going to post each chapter separately, post it in the novel section, not the short story forum.

And is fan fiction considered plaguerism?
We don't have members posting fan fiction here. I don't think it's plagiarism (so long as you state clearly that it's fan fic), but if you have some original work, you should post that. It's much more helpful to get critiques on your own work than something that's mostly someone else's.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein

Old 08-21-2011, 05:35 AM View Post #128 (Link)
Masoyo (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 2
Hi All!
I just joined today. I'd love to interact with as many writers as I can here and would love to read all your works. I do believe this is a brilliant site wherein we can improve our writing skills. I'm very fond of writing poems and write short stories at times.

I welcome any suggestion and reviews and critics on my work.

Masoyo

Last edited by Masoyo; 08-21-2011 at 05:36 AM.

Reason: Wrong spelling
Old 08-21-2011, 09:03 AM View Post #129 (Link)
Rose (Offline)
Crit Trash Collector

Times Thanked: 454
Welcome to the site.

However, this is a thread where you can ask questions, not introduce yourself. To make an intro thread, go to Community Forum >> The Newbie Zone >> New Thread.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:20 PM View Post #130 (Link)
Lolkim13114 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

how do you write or submit a book that yourself wrote?