Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 PM View Post #1 (Link) Hello from New Jersey
Alyssa Miranda (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I joined today and wanted to say hello before asking a question, which is, is it possible to paste say a Word or PDF file into a post in order to avoid retyping something (a short story, for example) that's already done?

Alyssa
Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Yes there is. Stuff in Word or any kind of word processing program (Text edit, etc) copies well; just highlight the text that you want to copy and paste it in a reply box or a start new thread post box. If you have formatting such as italics, bold, or tabs for paragraphs, you'll need to re-do that formatting in the reply box. At the top of the reply box you'll see some symbols for bold, underline, colors, etc; highlight the post you want to format, then click the button. This forum doesn't recognize tabs, so you'll need to put a full line of space between paragraphs. You can do this by hand on the main part of the forum. On the writing side, where you can post stories and poems, there's a "separate paragraphs" button you can use to make this process faster.

Some stuff in .pdf files can be copied and pasted, but some cannot; it depends on your pdf software and on the file itself.

Welcome to YWO! What kind of stuff do you write? Do you have any other questions about the forum?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:06 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Alyssa Miranda (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Isis,

Thank you for that very helpful reply! I am working on a "novel" (more like a fictionalized memoir on a sensitive subject), and have turned one its chapters into a short story I thought I might post for critiquing. As to further questions, is it permissible to do just that without critiquing the work of others, which I'd prefer not to do? (I once critiqued someone's writing for style, grammar, etc. and so upset the person I vowed I'd never do it again. That's not to say it isn't important - it is, but it's not something I'm comfortable with.)

Alyssa
Old 05-01-2013, 01:27 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Critiquing is what we're all about here, and it's necessary to post work on the forum. But there are lots of ways to critique that can avoid stepping on toes, and even better, there are plenty of members here who can take a critique without getting upset.

One type of critique that can be helpful is one that summarizes your general thoughts about a story and asks questions about things that were ambiguous, or whatever questions popped into your mind when reading. That tends to be less painted with red text and corrections and has less of a tone of "you need to fix this". But it actually does important work of telling the writer how well their story communicates, and where any amibguities, lapses in character development, or plot holes might be. I like to critique this way on what looks like beginner work, or when I think somebody might be really personally attached to a piece; I think it's a good way to be both helpful and tactful.

Another thing you can do is start out with work of people who I know are level-headed about critiques. Take a look at And by Queen Kanen, Janus in Space by Scotty, roots by ean, or Click by lostbookworm. (There are other people who have posted work who can take a crit, but those are the people I've known the longest)

You sound awesome and we'd really like to have you here. This is generally a supportive community for people who are trying to improve their work and help improve the work of others. If you'd like to give critiquing - or one of it's more holistic cousins - another try, this would be a good place to practice and learn.

Last edited by Isis; 05-01-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:02 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Alyssa Miranda (Offline)
Literary Newbie

OK, will give it a try - and thanks for the kind words!

Alyssa
Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Maroon-Back 313 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 21
One of my dearest friends is named Alyssa and she's form New Jersey. She's also a user on this site. I love her to pieces <3 xD Welcome!

Also, my twin Ji, I love you

Aly. I love you so much it's ridiculous go away. Except don't, I'd be lost without your affection, your support, your excellent reading material, and your friendship

Kel! Thank you for making me think with every conversation we have. Thank you for changing my perspective on so many aspects of life. It's incredible how you do that

Carr. You've been acknowledged ... xD You're awesome and morbid and talented and yup. There you go
Old 05-04-2013, 01:38 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Alyssa Miranda (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Despite what you hear about New Jersey (the pollution, too many people, the jokes etc.), it's not that bad a place to live. There's a terrific song about the state, "I Like Jersey Best," and you can hear it on You Tube.

Alyssa