Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 10-30-2014, 03:21 PM View Post #1 (Link) Miss Independent
Stacey (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 1
Sometimes when I'm bored,i start imagining things and pretend to be someone else.So right now(in my imaginations),I'm a lonely 25year old.

Did you ever go to a party with a group of friends and you're all drinking and laughing happily when suddenly you come to the startling realization that you're standing all alone?Where did they all go?To the bar,to the garden, by the pool,with some guy!Both smiling like cheshire cats.Welcome to the club.I don't mind being on my own,but I definitely mind being left alone.What makes it more agonizing is that I'm not exactly in a position to say to my friend"Not fair Jenny,you left me".Duh!What did i expect?That she'd be my date?
No,i'm not ugly.I know what you're thinking;I even won a beauty pageant once in high school.I have beautiful long legs that put the likes of Taylor Swift and Kate Moss to shame.Then why don't I get approached?
Maybe it's really my fault like everyone's been saying.They're like"Sheila,we get the whole independent thing,but don't you think you're overdoing it?"
I don't go on blind dates,I don't smile at every guy that looks at me,I don't accept offers of drinks and dances,I never creatively drop my number,as a matter of fact,i don't drop my number.I don't even allow a guy to pay for my food and I've never done that come hither thing.Yeah and I bite my nails;don't judge me..To me,I'm just being me but to my friends and the rest of the world,I'm being unnecessarily mean and scaring potential boyfriends away.
Thinking about it,it's not totally my fault.It's not my fault that my boss kept yelling at me all day and that put me in a fowl mood.That i have just a 10 minutes lunch break and it takes 5 minutes to drive over.I'm coming out of the fast food with a scowl on my face and this cute guy walks up to me and says"excuse me,can i talk to you?".Even though I'm dying to turn around and say "sure" with a big smile,I turn and say "sorry ,I'm running late",kicking myself mentally for passing such an opportunity.Totally not my fault!
So i lay on my cold bed every night,wondering when I would get a Mr(not bothered about the right). I'm 25years old,my biological clock is ticking away like crazy and my mom's like"honey i can count the number of guys you've dated on the fingers of one hand"If only she knew there would be five spaces left!
Maybe all over-independent,not-to-friendly career women are bound to remain alone until they "take the bold step"like my friends keep saying.I just keep screaming back at them in true telenovela fashion"WHAT BOLD STEP!"
Old 11-10-2014, 02:56 PM View Post #2 (Link) ?
blainerhymes (Offline)
Novice Writer

I really like the concept. Your audience will be quite broad with this one, since almost every single girl/woman out there wonders at some point if they have become too independent. There are a few grammar mistakes and I think the transitions need a tiny bit of work, but this is a really great topic to write about!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:11 PM View Post #3 (Link) good one
cinders rauhlee (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I must confess, the title was what drew me in initially and to be honest I was expecting something different from what I got but what I got wasn't disappointing at all. I think the story has a lot of potential seeing that you did well to avoid cliches and actually quite proudly pointed it out. We always see the good sides of independence and all, I'm just saying I'm glad you talked about other aspects of it. This is something i want to read more of.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:08 AM View Post #4 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
Stacey (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Thanks guys..When time permits,i will write more on the topic of female independence and it will be from all points of view.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:07 PM View Post #5 (Link)
hofesh shel tzva'im (Offline)
Novice Writer

I like your writing style
Old 06-20-2015, 04:50 PM View Post #6 (Link)
somewhere_subhi (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
An awesome concept ,catchy title.and lovely wrting.