Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 08-05-2014, 02:33 AM View Post #1 (Link) How to Get a Parking Spot
PocketFuzz (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 2
A short, humorous letter that I wrote recently. Hoping to get some feedback on it. Thanks.

To the Honda in My Parking Spot,

Have you ever been driving somewhere, anywhere really, and come to the infuriating conclusion that there is absolutely NOWHERE to park? Maybe you're just off to work, and you're fifteen minutes early. Maybe you're running late for the train to some once-in-a-lifetime event, and you don't have the time to wait for a spot. Whatever it may be, you can't find a single open spot to leave your car in so that you can move on with your day. Maybe you'll get lucky and some random fellow will come hurry into the lot and speed off, leaving you an opportunity to stop and make your schedule. Maybe you won't because they'll hurry in, and speed out of a motorcycle spot when you're driving an SUV. If, like myself, you happen to have a streak of bad luck, you've been experiencing just that. Each morning, I wake up, prepare for the day, and drive to work. Each evening, I drive home and begin the (extremely) annoying hunt for a place to put my vehicle. Under normal circumstances, I would just park in front of my own humble abode. Just like all my neighbors do, and all their neighbors, and even the people on the next street over. That spot, however is occupied each evening by your lovely little motorbike, and I no longer have that luxury. The luxury of parking where it is most convenient and sensible for me. Because you're parked there. In the space in front of my house. My house. So, I would like to give you an advance warning as of today. Don't park here again .Your bike may be missing some important pieces and/or simply be missing. Thank you and have a nice night.

Sincerely,

Irked Homeowner
Old 09-09-2014, 01:25 PM View Post #2 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Originally Posted by PocketFuzz View Post
A short, humorous letter that I wrote recently. Hoping to get some feedback on it. Thanks.

To the Honda in My Parking Spot,

Have you ever been driving somewhere, anywhere really, and come to the infuriating conclusion that there is absolutely NOWHERE to park? Maybe you're just off to work, and you're fifteen minutes early. Maybe you're running late for the train to some once-in-a-lifetime event, and you don't have the time to wait for a spot. Whatever it may be, you can't find a single open spot to leave your car in so that you can move on with your day. Maybe you'll get lucky and some random fellow will come hurry into the lot and speed off, leaving you an opportunity to stop and make your schedule. Maybe you won't because they'll hurry in, and speed out of a motorcycle spot when you're driving an SUV. If, like myself, you happen to have a streak of bad luck, you've been experiencing just that. Each morning, I wake up, prepare for the day, and drive to work. Each evening, I drive home and begin the (extremely) annoying hunt for a place to put my vehicle. Under normal circumstances, I would just park in front of my own humble abode. Just like all my neighbors do, and all their neighbors, and even the people on the next street over. That spot, however, is occupied each evening by your lovely little motorbike, and I no longer have that luxury. The luxury of parking where it is most convenient and sensible for me. Because you're parked there. In the space in front of my house. My house. So, I would like to give you an advance warning as of today. Don't park here again.Your bike may be missing some important pieces and/or simply be missing. Thank you and have a nice night.

Sincerely,

Irked Homeowner
Did you actually write this to someone in real life who was ticking you off? That'd be funny. I don't know what else you'd want someone to say about this. It's humorous yes, but nothing extremely funny. I didn't laugh out loud or anything, just smirked at the slightest. Nothing about it is fanciful, at least to me. It just felt like something that's part of a novel where a MC shows you what he wrote to this person.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:40 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Stacey (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 1
I read this a long time ago but never had the time to critque it until now.I actually loved it(call me crazy,but this is really my thing).Of course you did not really write this to someone(right?).you were obviously just messing around with a pen and a paper.But i love your creativity and charming sense of humour that most writers seemed to have forgotten.Apart from little grammatical errors which(thankfully)have been corrected by SG,it is A-OK.Come on guys,when did writers become a bunch of cranky old tweenies?Thanks for putting a smile on my face!
Old 09-15-2014, 12:51 AM View Post #4 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
PocketFuzz (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 2
Thanks to you both for the critiques, and ScottyMcGee, no, unfortunately I don't have the balls to do that (Although I kinda wish I did). I'm glad I could amuse you for a spot of your day.