Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 10-19-2014, 08:17 PM View Post #1 (Link) ... On Counterculture
weirdfish (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
[Note: This is either going to be the establishing passage or somewhere in the middle of the piece but I know it’s going to be central to the piece as a whole. The premise is such: a semi-fictitious historical and biographical account of a writer interviewing people around the world from various backgrounds about counterculture and revolution, particularly in the 20th century and present day. It has a greater focus on introspection and observation than facts, as the following will show. Please give feedback]

Thoughts from a Deluded Scoundrel on Counterculture.

Whenever you’re endowed with the privilege to speak with a manifest destiny mind of their generation, but not yours, you can’t help but feel perpetually on the edge; the balls of your feet are tangled in curiosity, but you’re scared about the outmoded contempt and prejudice that lingers on from past toleration of intolerance. That amidst a waterfall of insight, a brutish outcrop of barbaric bigotry might emerge and dam the river dry.

Nonetheless, we need voices from the prior, from the previous, from those who endured the terrible fear of the not now, for they fought to create modernity among reactionary conservatism as people recoiled in the wake of the horror of their times, and this reaction prevails today despite their progress.

They fought for these things because, in an abstract sort of way, they loved us. Their revolution wasn’t to be felt by them, yet they persevered against crippling dogmatism and howling fear. Martin Luther King Jr. rallied against ignorance, headed the charge against history knowing that he hadn’t a chance of freedom from prejudice, but that he was marching inexorably into the path of a metal slug. The inevitable martyr.

Our most prominent historical figureheads rarely fight for personal freedom - they spearhead a movement, they heighten the tide - but more often than not, they'll crash upon the rocks before they get the chance to reach the sandy shores. Nonetheless, they are celebrated, with but a lick of liberty having ever adorned their lips.

But on reflection, thinking of times I’ll never see but will feel forever in the core of my bones and in the coarseness of my hamburger, maybe the self-interested revolutionaries meant the most. Utopian thinkers in existential coffee shops and in passionate, stagnant tomes drummed the support of millions to ultimately lay folly to bread and corruption, but the freaks with an ear for good music and a desire for self-fulfilment made the century roar. I don’t think insurrection will ever be that fun; we’re too connected and too empathetic, because these things are right, but the deafening call of billions drowns out the desires of one and desire drives movement, and movement breaks the cliff face.

Last edited by weirdfish; 10-20-2014 at 02:16 PM.