Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 06-14-2014, 04:08 AM View Post #1 (Link) Flower beauty
Kaerain (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 2

Last edited by Isis; 06-14-2014 at 04:39 AM.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:15 AM View Post #2 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Nevermind - looks like you've figured out how to get the image link. Would you like an image to appear directly in the post?
Old 06-14-2014, 04:21 AM View Post #3 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
Kaerain (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Yes please and could you also give me your honest oppinion on my painting it is my first on this site.

Last edited by Kaerain; 06-14-2014 at 04:24 AM.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:18 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Unfortunately it's kind of hard to see the painting and critique it fairly because of the way it's photographed - it's sort of blurry and at a weird angle, like we're looking at the painting while it's flat on a table. It's a lot easier to comment on art when the image is flat and clear. I used to photograph my pieces by putting them on a table with good lighting and standing on a chair or a stool over the table to take the picture.

That said, it looks like these are tulips or some other very stylized flower with fat, woven stems. This reminds me a little of assignments we did in middle school based on Matisse paintings. I'm thinking of paintings like the ones below:

Spoiler:

--

Both images from henri-matisse.net

Were you aiming for a particular style, or painting while thinking about a certain time in history? Was the intent to create something kind of child-like and stylized? Were you painting from memory, or from life? I think it will be easier to discuss this work if I know what you were going for - and it might be valuable for you to think about your intent with this painting as well.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:25 AM View Post #5 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
Kaerain (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Actually when I was younger I remember seeing different flowers in a field yet they never grew near eachother which was sad cause they were all pretty
Old 07-03-2014, 04:12 PM View Post #6 (Link) Great job!
unicorn04 (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 3
Your flowers are simple, but you could brighten them up a bit by adding a background. The picture you drew seems better in brighter colors (in my opinion), but the art you have is fine right now. What was the procedure you took in creating this artwork? Did you plan it first, and then create the artwork, or did you just plan as you created? I just wanted to know! Fabulous artwork, though!

Keep Painting,
Unicorn04
Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 AM View Post #7 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
Kaerain (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

I always draw out my stuff before I paint and thank you
Old 07-28-2014, 05:48 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by Kaerain View Post
Actually when I was younger I remember seeing different flowers in a field yet they never grew near eachother which was sad cause they were all pretty
Ok, so this is a painting from memory? The simple and sort of abstracted shapes remind me both of modernist art and of kids drawings. Not just drawings in books for kids, but the kinds of drawings that kids do, where everything is really conceptual. Like here it looks like the rose is represented by a swirl, other flowers by sort of abstracted and stereotyped petals. The thick black outlines reminds me of art in childrens books and art by children as well.

One thing that works in this piece is the way color starts to guide the eye. I like that the bright red flower is in the middle because it attracts my attention to the whole thing. I also like that a sort of dull/dark purple flower is in the 'back' of the bunch because it creates a sense of volume and perspective. But something about the colors is also a little bit unbalanced. Most of the darker, cooler colors are on the left and that makes the left of the bunch feel heavier visually than the right side, which has light yellow and orange flowers. You can use color not just to show what things look like but to create a mood or to guide the eye. I'd think about where the color is "pointing" when you make a painting. Duller or washed out looking colors tend to recede into the distance. Really bright colors usually shout, "pay attention to this part of the painting!".

If you were going for a realistic rather than an abstracted style, I'd suggest drawing and painting from life rather than memory. At least for awhile. Or try drawing and painting from life alongside memory, or as one method for re-creating memory. For example, you can look at lots of pictures of flowers to get an idea of what they look like from different angles, or go outside and do a few sketches of flowers from life. Then, you can sort of "cut and paste" those sketches on the page or in your head to make an overall painting that gets at something from memory.

It can be a lot more helpful at the beginning to draw from an actual object than a picture, and while you're still learning I suggest you give this a try as much as possible. Head out into a garden at your house or school or neighborhood park and try drawing the flowers that catch your eye. Draw yourself in the mirror. Draw your siblings/friends when they're watching TV. Your pets when they're sleeping. Draw random interesting junk on your kitchen table. All of that will give you new ways of looking at stuff and new tools for representing the world.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:41 PM View Post #9 (Link)
unicorn04 (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 3
Originally Posted by Kaerain View Post
I always draw out my stuff before I paint and thank you
I do too.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:44 PM View Post #10 (Link)
FlamingArrow (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 1
I enjoy viewing this piece. I have a few suggestions about improving this piece or another different piece. When drawing or painting flowers, remember each petal needs shading. Also, the area on this piece where the stems are. I suggest shading there too. So just try mixing some darker shades of your main colors to make it more life-like. Other then that, you're on a great start!