Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-26-2017, 11:51 PM View Post #1 (Link) help me: longevity in writing
meltingcrayon (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
i write when i have a free second, to keep the words flowing-as most writers do. but i find it difficult to stick with and commit to characters, and the situations they're in. i've always been someone who gets carried away at the start and gives up i guess, which is obviously detrimental to writing.
i just find i'm always writing short scenes and them abandoning them, so that i now have hundreds scrawled on notes pages or on pieces of paper. although this is undoubtedly helpful to developing a writing style, i feel like i'll never be able to spend years with the same characters. i just like creating snippets of life: descriptions or conversations, and then never really know where to go from there. when i try to carry them on they just seem to wilt under lack of purpose.

has anyone experienced this, or can anyone help? i love writing as much as ever, i just can't get stories to move on their own.

Last edited by meltingcrayon; 07-27-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:05 AM View Post #2 (Link)
addictedtoreading (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 45
Hey so the most important thing is that you love writing! There's nothing wrong with you for getting "carried " away. I'm certain one day you'll find the "right" characters you feel like sticking with, but there's no "wrong" or "right" way to write a novel. When I was younger this used to happen all the time, I have soooo many abandoned ideas/novel outlines, it's completely normal part of the writing process

Please don't hesitate to message me if you have any comments or questions, I'm always happy to talk about anything reading or writing related. If you want me to look at your writing just ask!
It is not hard to write what one feels as truth. It is damned hard to live by it.
-Eugene O'Neil to Alexander Berkman
I am also a major Tumblr addict and have a collection of quotes (reblogged and stockpiled over the course of five years) that you are welcome to peruse
Old 08-25-2017, 03:48 PM View Post #3 (Link)
SKritorre (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 6
Definitely the point is that you're enjoying yourself with writing. Who cares if it's a series of unconnected short stories or a 60,000 word novel?
I started out the same as you with a bunch of unconnected scenes. Some scenes I quite liked and pushed myself to get the word count up so that I could call it a short story. Other times I had two different characters that I realised could become one (people have more than just one conflict in their lives); this helped me to flesh out characters into what I hope are more lifelike ones. Once they feel more like whole people I found it easier to stick with them.
But that's just my experience - yours will probably be utterly different.
I guess what I'm trying to say is just keep writing and eventually you'll find a scene/character that will just unfold and give you more places to go.

The other option is to force yourself to do something like NaNoWriMo, but I'd work up to that. I did it too early when I wasn't very confident at writing and put myself off writing for a few years

Hope this helps,
The most important thing is to enjoy yourself!
SK