Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 05-12-2008, 04:27 AM View Post #1 (Link) House of leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski
Chie'N'Kadath (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 13
House of leaves is possibly the most puzzling novel on the planet. I mean literally. The entire book is like a puzzle box, constantly shifting and changing and shaking you off everytime you find a lead to solve the puzzle. And it is exquisite.

House of leaves (Blue used because the text, at least in the full colour version of the novel, always saysHouse in blue. Why? I have yet to figure out. Another example: Minotaur is in Green.) is impossible to summarize. I could spend hours here describing pages from it, but I still couldn't prepare you for it. It does begin somewhat normal, reading like a book within a book as a writer, noted by the writer of the novel as a fellow writer even in the credits to add further mystery, is writing an essay about the Navidson Record, which is very much a story that is Poltergeist meets Blair Witch Project. It's about the Navidson family, who lives in the mysterious house on Ash Tree Lane. Eventually, their children go missing through a simple closet, yet day after day the voices of their children playing and screaming can be heard in the houses walls. The father grabs a camcorder, before venturing into the same closet his children vanished into.

There is much more to it. House of leaves will not be for everyone, you need time to read it that is rare for people to have for a single novel. I have been actively studying it since 2003, and I still have only solved at least 3/4's of the mysteries that surround it.

I can't really say much more. It's an exquisitely written textual and visual masterpiece, that if you have the time to solve puzzles in the forms of visually spelled out pages (There are literally hundreds of near blank pages except for words that form shapes matching the text) and other treats, you will find yourself in a world that requires devotion, and the payoff will be more than worth the time. If you like your story with a more traditional approach, beware. It's not for everybody, but for those who like puzzles and something out of the ordinary, do yourself a favour, and get this book. It's many twisting puzzles and bizzarre and unique tales will satisfy every need, and never come short of filling your lust for the stuff, yet it never gets to gimmicky, it's almost always immersing. There are times, you, yourself will be caught in the maze of the house on Ash Tree Lane, that constantly shifts, changing things beyond borders you thought your mind could imagine, and offering up visual feasts. It is truly one of the surreal and avanteguard masterpieces of our era, and it can only be seen to be believed.

I'll give it a 9/10

-Kadath

P.S. If you buy it, make sure it is the Full Colour Edition. It may seem odd, but missing the colours seen in pictures and in the text, actually does detract from some of the puzzles, only making them harder and less enjoyable. The Full Colour edition is sadly rare, in fact, as House of leaves was originally nothing more than a bundle of notes and words, the full colour edition was passed around to Mark's friends and on before publication, and casual buyers had to wait 'till 2006 to get the full colour edition in the stores.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...ean=0375420525
You can order it there.
Kadath

Someone once asked us, "How do you both trade places so quickly on the computer to respond to posts?" We shrugged, and responded "We're so close, I think we've become conjoined twins and we just sit and fight over the keyboard."
Old 05-16-2008, 12:06 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Guessed (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 16
Oh, thank you for this thread - I heard of House of Leaves almost a year ago and found it really intriguing, but ever since I could never remember its name. I can't wait to check this out.
Click (There's cake. Really.)
Old 05-16-2008, 06:37 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Chie'N'Kadath (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

No problem
Kadath

Someone once asked us, "How do you both trade places so quickly on the computer to respond to posts?" We shrugged, and responded "We're so close, I think we've become conjoined twins and we just sit and fight over the keyboard."
Old 06-18-2008, 03:08 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Coraline (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I'm reading this book currently. It's odd, but I really like it so far.

Hah hah. The Gaiman picture in your signature makes me absurdly happy.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:49 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Chie'N'Kadath (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Originally Posted by Coraline View Post
I'm reading this book currently. It's odd, but I really like it so far.

Hah hah. The Gaiman picture in your signature makes me absurdly happy.
Is it just the fact that Neil Gaiman pwns?

Of course give your full opinion of the book when your done with it. It's always interesting to see each different persons 'interpretation.'
Kadath

Old 06-18-2008, 07:39 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Coraline (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Originally Posted by Chie'N'Kadath View Post
Is it just the fact that Neil Gaiman pwns?

Of course give your full opinion of the book when your done with it. It's always interesting to see each different persons 'interpretation.'
Heck yes. Neil Gaiman rocks meinen Socken off.

I'll be finished with the book fairly soon, I think. I'm going on a trip so it'll be a good travel book, methinks.