Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 12-29-2008, 02:48 PM View Post #1 (Link) Darren Shan's "Slawter"
Eilidh (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 11
Okay the main character is a boy called Grubbs Grady, he lives with his uncle Dervish.
But the Grady family has been cursed with a werewolve gene thing, anyway. Grubb's sister had it and his parents went to try and save her by beating this demon named Lord Loss, but they fail and Grubb's sister and parents all get killed. So thats why Grubbs now lives with his uncle. Then a movie producer Davida Haym wants Dervish to help her with a new film shes doing, and Grubbs is excited and basically makes Dervish do it because he loves Davida's films. Dervish takes Bill-E with him aswell.
Okay basically in the end the demons that they were using for the film were real, and Davida wanted to make it all seem real so she got Lord Loss to help her aswell, but Lord Loss wanted Dervish there so Dervish would be killed, personal grudge kinda thing.
But all the main characters apart from a few minor main characters escape, its a good book when you're bored.
Even though some parts drag on a bit, especially the begining, and the fact that one character changes their personality, so much that its a bit unrealistic, and i suppose a few of you could point out grammar mistakes.
But all in all its good so I'd rate it 8/10 but it can be a bit urmm.... gory

Last edited by Eilidh; 12-29-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:45 PM View Post #2 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

Times Thanked: 97
Although The Demonata series is very cliche and uses predictable plot turns, it still has a high place on my shelf. Why? Because its so masterfully written and it entertains me so well. Unlike Paolini, who just takes a dump on paper and calls it a day.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:59 PM View Post #3 (Link)
kitkat (Offline)
Banned

Times Thanked: 4
I really got mad when that one chike betrays them and Dervish would have never noticed!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:56 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Eilidh (Offline)
Literary Artist

I've only read 2, Slawter and Demon Thief, i enjoyed them both
Old 12-30-2008, 06:02 PM View Post #5 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

Times Thanked: 97
You should read Lord Loss, that's pretty good. Bec, Blood Beast and Demon Apocalypse are also good. I haven't read Wolf Island or beyond yet.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:12 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Eilidh (Offline)
Literary Artist

I might buy Lord Loss, so i like understand everything more. I read a little bit of Bec and it seems intresting so i'll probably buy it
Old 01-03-2009, 09:50 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Polly (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 7
I enjoyed the book, it's one of those ones that you can pick up and read again at any time.
Though you might have went into to much detail and ruined the ending for some people with your review, by the way