Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 PM View Post #1 (Link) The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
fantasy-freak (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 1
MAGIC - IT CAN GET A GUY KILLED

these books are about a guy called Harry Dreseden. He is a professional wizard in Chicago. the books are brilliant because even though they are in the gothic horror section and classed as adults books they are packed full of witty remarks and humour whcih makes the books so good and makes you laugh which is rather amusing when people look at you strangly because you are laughing at a book ...

The First book (Stormfront) starts off fast with a ghastly and peculiar murder scene in which he has to solve. The book moves quickly and as written in the first person has all his amusing opinions in. Things soon become complicated as it seems a darker kind of mafic is envolved, something that stalks him from his past ...

^-^
these books rock!

Harry Dresden Rocks My Socks

Old 01-15-2008, 09:27 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 121
I agree!

There's not much to add to what you said. I love the way Butcher writes action, and I love the way he paces the plot. Just when things don't seem to be able to get any worse, he adds a whole new problem and another dimension to the story. And again. And again. And again. Whether the protagonist succeeds or fails, the reasons always seem to make sense.

I can't vouch much for character development beyond the main character, but there is some. And there's a reason why all of the Dresden Files books are on my bookshelf. When the next one comes out in -- is it April? Yeah -- I'll be getting it hardcover.

My mother is a fish.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:59 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Zombified (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 126
I've read a Butcher book before, except it was a Spider-Man book.
He really is a great writer, and I was thoroughly impressed by his writing. I would definitely look into this series of his once I finish the current books I am reading.

Thank you for reminding me of his talent and witty prose.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 PM View Post #4 (Link)
mikedb1492 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I watched the TV show, and thought it was pretty cool, and then I found out it was first a book. That's some pretty sweet stuff. I wasn't sure if I should buy it since I hadn't heard much about it. But now that I heard it is great, I think I'll go buy Storm front (I'm a big fan of making good action scenes, so I hope I learn something from this guy).
Old 08-08-2008, 11:06 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 121
I'm bored enough to update on my opinions. I didn't get the next book hardcover; I just read it in the bookstore.

These books are good enough to buy, but by the eighth or ninth book, they start annoying me, because the characters all have an infinite supply of get-out-of-this-plot-alive-free cards. That just means I'm going to stop buying them. I probably will read the next one, although Small Favor's conclusion annoyed me to no end. And also, I'm not getting rid of the Butcher books I already have. (: I'm finally getting the Goodkind collection out of the house.

My mother is a fish.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:18 AM View Post #6 (Link)
aj.e (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 6
The show was awesome. And I'm hoping to read the books.

"A vasectomy is the key to success."