Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 08-06-2016, 01:15 PM View Post #1 (Link) Your opinion on?
Marissap (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 1
Reading and writing. If suppose you are asked to choose one from either reading or writing what would you prefer?
Old 08-06-2016, 08:27 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
Reading, hands down. As much as I love writing, it's very easy to spot writers who don't read much, and I'm pretty sure my writing would get suckier and suckier and less interesting to me if I couldn't take time out in someone else's world or be reminded what good writing is (or terrible writing). Also, I do most of my research through books. I'm inspired by books. And I go nowhere without a book. I could compensate and draw stories or have them live in my head (which a couple do anyway) instead.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:26 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Writing, always.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:10 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
Originally Posted by Marissap View Post
Reading and writing. If suppose you are asked to choose one from either reading or writing what would you prefer?

My dearest Marissap, let me ask you in my turn: If suppose you are asked to choose one from either eating or breathing what would you prefer?
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders
Old 08-07-2016, 09:02 PM View Post #5 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
Originally Posted by Marissap View Post
Reading of course. Writing has its fun, but it can be stressful at times. With reading, I can simply abandon whatever I don't like to move on to something else that I'd like to read. Writing... doesn't flow like that if you want to get something done relatively soon unless you're planning on getting all the different writings that you've worked on done eventually.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:45 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50
At the elementary level, reading is often emphasized over writing (at least in Florida curriculum-- British curriculum seems to do a better job of the writing bit), and I think part of that is it's easier to test and track progress. Personally, I believe that not only do you have to have both, but you can't have one without the other. Writing is important to comprehending what you read, and more obviously reading helps writing. I would also add speaking into that-- not necessarily verbal (ex. sign language) -- but certainly at early levels of literacy, speaking is hugely useful for both.

But if somehow they could exist one without the other... I think I'd choose reading. I would yearn for writing, but as Lykaios said, I would still be able to create my stories in my head. And there's a lot of variety and understanding of the world that comes from reading.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:44 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Awwal (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Reading and writing often if not most times go hand in hand but definitely, reading takes the front line for me..however,both are matters of the mind.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:44 AM View Post #8 (Link)
MElizabeth820 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

After being forced to read mounds of textbooks in college, I am still slow on building up my reading time again. However, I am continuously shown the benefit of reading. Everything. Everything. People who read everything they can get their hands on know and understand the world so much better. This leads to finding things you are interested in so you can learn more. That leads to having things to write about.

These days I do more writing than reading, but I definitely think reading is an essential skill for even being able to write.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:09 AM View Post #9 (Link)
wintermill (Offline)
Literary Newbie

I would love to write but I don't have skills on that.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:34 PM View Post #10 (Link)
mell (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 1
Writing cannot exist without reading. Reading can exist without writing. Therefore, I pick reading.