Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 12-23-2008, 12:20 AM View Post #1 (Link) A New Year's Resolution
Nyx (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 142
Just to make one thing clear before go into details, this isn't a contest, it's challenge for all of us on YWO to take on and hopefully a goal for us to accomplish together

So lately Zomb & I(and I'm sure many of you) have noticed that we don't crit as much as we used to, and we don't post as much literature as we used to. I don't know why this is, yes most of us are very busy but somehow we're not too busy to make posts in the off-topic section. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I don't like it. We're a site for writers and it seems that we've lost sight of our primary goal when joining YWO: to improve as writers.

With that in mind, I'm asking all you guys to help YWO to get back on track again. So that we can all start improving, & helping others improve.

The challenge/resolution is:
Making sure that every day, we have at least ONE (yep, just one) more post in the literature section than in the off-topics section. One might not seem like a lot, but we need to start small if we're going to get anywhere.

Let me know what you think, and if you think you'll be taking on this resolution this year!
What I don't like about this site is that there isn't enough social drama.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:35 PM View Post #2 (Link)
dj4ever (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 12
I think this is great. You're right, this have been getting off track. I really should be posting/critiquing more and I will start to again. I'm glad we can turn this around. In fact, I'm gonna go post some poem right now--well after I edit/revise it a little more.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
-John Lennon

"When one of your dreams come true, you begin to look at the others more carefully."
-Anon

I always read the last page of a book first so that if I die before I finish I'll know how it turned out.
-Nora Ephron

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Rouge (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 227
I think it's fantastic. It's sad when me and Majyk and only a few other members [very few] are doing line-by-line critiques.

I like this idea.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:18 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
Awesome--we need something to get more people critiquing. And yeah, the way it is now is kind of sad, like Tsuki said.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein

Old 12-23-2008, 08:44 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Quietus (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 7
That's a good idea. And I know how to help. I've recently (or not so) noticed that I do a lot of nothing around here. Haven't posted a single thing in the literature section, but I believe I have done a few crits, I could be wrong though. So.... In addition to trying to maintain that resolution, I'm making a more personalised one for myself, which will help this one here... If that made any sense.

More crits and literature coming from me. Which means I really have to start writing more. Someone's gotta yell at me to keep me going.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Nyx (Offline)
Wordsmith

Thanks Dj, Maj, Tsukes and Q.
I hope more people post here, come-on people, you know it's for the best!
And Q, if you need someone to yell at you to keep writing, well I'm always here.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:47 PM View Post #7 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

Times Thanked: 97
I started this thread I think it was yesterday:

http://www.youngwritersonline.net/showthread.php?t=2328

I've not done a crit for... hell knows how long. I'm surprised I haven't at least got an angry PM yet. And I haven't posted any lit. for a while.

But to fix that, I got a new novel in the works! Just finishing off the prologue!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:55 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
Just to make one thing clear before go into details, this isn't a contest, it's challenge for all of us on YWO to take on and hopefully a goal for us to accomplish together

So lately Zomb & I(and I'm sure many of you) have noticed that we don't crit as much as we used to, and we don't post as much literature as we used to. I don't know why this is, yes most of us are very busy but somehow we're not too busy to make posts in the off-topic section. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I don't like it. We're a site for writers and it seems that we've lost sight of our primary goal when joining YWO: to improve as writers.

With that in mind, I'm asking all you guys to help YWO to get back on track again. So that we can all start improving, & helping others improve.

The challenge/resolution is:
Making sure that every day, we have at least ONE (yep, just one) more post in the literature section than in the off-topics section. One might not seem like a lot, but we need to start small if we're going to get anywhere.

Let me know what you think, and if you think you'll be taking on this resolution this year!
Great idea, Nyx! I'm sorta getting to the point where I could start doing short stories based on my novel. And honestly that's the main reason I haven't done much. Brainstorming 100%...

Old 12-23-2008, 09:58 PM View Post #9 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

Times Thanked: 97
Ahem.

Thought shower, Andrew, not Brain storm.

Brain storm is bad because... I can't remember, but its offensive to some people who have a mental illness.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:22 AM View Post #10 (Link)
Nyx (Offline)
Wordsmith

UPDATE:
OKay I had another idea. D=
Well this goes hand in hand really:
I'm thinking that I'll do a count of Off Topic vs. Literature posts just to see our improvement[STRIKE]or lack of one[/STRIKE].
Todays count:
Off Topic:
Literature

That's not too bad right? Of course we have a long way to go, we want to reach the day when we have FAR more lit than off-topic right? But hey, one step at a time

*Note: I counted Literary discussion (except for twilight because it's gotten out of hand at this point) as literature, and I didn't count site news for or against anything.