Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 11-24-2009, 05:10 AM View Post #11 (Link)
Alex (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 81
And, not to sound pompous (which I'm sure I do)... how many people (who haven't already stepped down from the position...) are qualified at this point. I understand you want us to be on, because we haven't (outside of Mercy who is getting completley ripped to shreds with the rest of us despite her excellent work) been doing as much work as we should, but, believe me (at least in regards to my own case), I have in no way forgotten about the site. I still check on a daily (and yes, it is every day, even if only for 15-30 minutes) basis, but haven't been able to spend as much time as I would like on the site as a result of college applications and other more personal issues.

If I felt I was doing a diservice to the site by remaining a mod, even during this lull of pseudo-inactivity (a subject on which I've already touched on with Shaun), then I would graciously step down. If the people feel that they have a better choice or that I haven't necessarilly fulfilled my role as mod as well as I should have then it is their perogative to approach Shaun. I'll finish by throwing out the following caveat: considering that second half of senior year in high school is (generally) much more laid-back, I'm assuming I will have more time to spend here. If I find that even then I'm unable to participate in a more active manner at that point then I will gladly step down of my own accord.

Also, what really ever happens so drastic that a mod needs to be present at the moment of the occurrence to deal with it? In general I'd say at least one of us is on, and, while I can't vouch for the other mods/administrators, I know that I haven't gotten any specific requests to deal with a thread in what has quite literally been months. Please, flood my inbox and I promise every issue you have will be adressed in a timely and efficient manner! Maybe it is because our(my) presence, when it actually occurs, is still perceived as very detached from the community, the newer members are more uncomfortable approaching me. I will say that this was an issue that we had when I was first selected to be a mod, and it was looked over then, and I fail to see a difference from then and now.

Again, I don't mean to sound pompous or elitist, but this is a game of tug-and-war, everyone here knows that if a mod is contacted with a bad thread/poster it will be taken care of. I don't think it is necessarilly fair to leave things that seem so blatantly egregious to the more active members unmentioned to the mods (even in passing) and then you still expect us to take care of it in the fashion which would suit you. Also, I'd like to say one more time, please distance Mercy from the conversation because, while even she is not directly infused into the site's culture, she does a good majority of the modding that does go on, which I think many would be surprised at how extensive it really is at this point.

------End Rant------

Last edited by Alex; 11-24-2009 at 05:14 AM.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:16 AM View Post #12 (Link)
Zombified (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 126
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
The only rule is this: be civil. This is not the place for personal attacks. Let's keep it friendly and honest. No attacking one another for giving an opinion.
They're just suggestions, people.

Easy.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:47 AM View Post #13 (Link)
Alex (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 81
Taking it easy is not in my nature, Zomb.

Also, you're suggesting something that is completley out of the jurisdiction of Shaun and Andy, so I don't necessarilly see the use here other than to provoke hot-headed mods like myself. Its not like Shaun and Andy can force us to be on more, I posted what I did to try and rationalize the criticisms (they are still that, albeit warranted criticisms), from our prespective. I'm not trying to retalliate against anyone. You can read my post as my own "complaint" against the lack of specific calling out of members or threads for the mods to deal with.

I think it would have been rather clever on my part to leave nothing but a short witty reply in the vain of "1. Members don't seem to want to report issues to mods through pm/visitor message" in response to your post, shame I didn't think of it sooner. Now I just sound like a smartass. I will say that I tried my darndest to keep it diplomatic, and if it came off as an insecure retaliation (which, in fact, it was) I apologize.

Last edited by Alex; 11-24-2009 at 05:49 AM.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:51 AM View Post #14 (Link)
Zombified (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 126
See?

We can't even voice our opinions without being attacked.

They're just suggestions.

Shaun isn't necessarily going to implement each and every one of our ideas, Alex.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:07 AM View Post #15 (Link)
Nyx (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 142
Originally Posted by Zombified View Post
Cons
1. Low Moderator presence-It seems that 90% of the time, no Moderator or Administrator is online when most members need them. This is my biggest complaint. (This does not include Bowie's new appointment.)
First off, I think it's only fair that if you're actually going to name the better mods who have been doing their job then Mercy should be named because she does do a lot of work for the site.

Suggestions.
1. Simple enough, mods who are hardly around to do the job they are required to do should be let go. If this were a job, and you hardly showed up to work, what would the boss do?
I don't think it makes sense to drop any mods if we can't replace them. As Alex said, I too check in everyday just incase there's any major disaster or annoying newb that needs to be taken care of. While this, from yours, and many other members pov is not be enough I think it is still somewhat more efficient than just droppings mods and only having two left.
Anyways, the minute Shaun or a well-known member find someone who would be a good replacement, I'm willing to step down from being a mod.

As for me,
The magazine!---obviously I would say this but it's true that it's pretty amazing ;]
Critiquing-- not great yet, but it's picked up
Bowie becoming a mod-- I'm sure we all agree about this one!

Dislikes:
Point System-- I feel like it's still flawed because newbs still manage to post numerous stories/poems without even attempting to do a single crit.

I'll probably think of more and edit this later.
What I don't like about this site is that there isn't enough social drama.

Last edited by Nyx; 11-24-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:38 PM View Post #16 (Link)
Rouge (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 227
I like how when the normal members say anything against the mods, they get all riled up. How cute. Like Zomb said, they're our opinions. Besides, he's not the only one that said anything, so there's no point in just 'attacking' him.

Chill out.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:56 PM View Post #17 (Link)
Nyx (Offline)
Wordsmith

No one's attacking anyone, and Alex already apologized for "if what he said sounded like an attack". We both said we'd step down if that's what's needed but we have the right to share our opinions too.
What I don't like about this site is that there isn't enough social drama.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:29 PM View Post #18 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Hey. Everyone chill out or I'll have to beat the crap out of someone...

This is a thread for suggestions and opinions about YWO, not members. If someone says something that you don't like, that's just tough. If you want to personally attack Zomb, I'll give you his address and you all can show up at his doorstep.

He makes a very valid point about the mod problem. This is something that, unfortunately, I don't have much control over. I can't get rid of everyone whenever there is a lull, because this is a site for young writers. I can't expect people to be on all the time. Some of us are applying for college; some of us are working on tests; some of us are teaching and taking graduate school courses and have to deal with the crap that comes with it. We're all dealing with other stuff. That said, I understand the complaint, and it's something I am worried about. The best thing I can say is for every member who sees something they don't feel belongs on the site, use that report post button.

That and...shut up Zomb. I'm on YWO every damn day for hours . Jerk <--I'm teasing...see the there?

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:33 PM View Post #19 (Link)
appleofmyeye (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 24
Everyone shut up and hug.

Anywho...

Like:

*The writing section had picked up some. That's always good .
*I like some of the newbs!
*Bowie is gonna be an awesome mod! I kinda just noticed he was upgraded a minute ago. Hehe.
*The magazine is uber cool. It is sitting on my special shelf so be honored.

Now onto the negative .

Dislike:

*I know many people like the groups but I dunno. I think the specialized groups work well but the Chatbox... eh. Not every member is part of the Chatbox group so it seems a little exclusive. I'd like it if the Random Games section didn't accumulate posts (most posts are only a couple words anyway) and the Chatbox was in there. Just a thought.

*How Zomb was talking about a critique requirement, I'm not totally onboard with that. Buy, I think that one critique should grant you one post in the Lit. section. The downside is that the critiques should outnumber the threads. Maybe two for one would work better?

*EDIT*

Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
If you want to personally attack Zomb, I'll give you his address and you all can show up at his doorstep.
If you value your life listen to the man. DON'T DO IT.

Last edited by appleofmyeye; 11-24-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:40 PM View Post #20 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Apple, I didn't know you had a copy of SBS! Why didn't you tell me? You're officially on my list of cool people in my sig. /spam

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.