Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 PM View Post #1 (Link) A Cat with a Hat
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50

water color pencil on 12in by 12in paper
(I didn't actually use any water, I just like the way they blend )

For a picture without the colored pencils and such (but with the edges annoyingly trimmed):
Spoiler:

EDIT: I actually looked at the colored pencils again that I was using, and they aren't watercolor. I do own watercolor pencils, but that's not them. Which is strange because I was certain they were watercolor. It's a good thing I didn't try to add the water

Last edited by Keladry; 02-14-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:29 AM View Post #2 (Link)
shahd (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 3
It's weird but nice. I like the idea of mixing the drawing like not knowing were the hat is or the cat, bugt anyway I loved it, loved it.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM View Post #3 (Link) A Cat With A Hat
harrypotterfreak (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 2
This is a very interedting piece of artwork! I really like it! You have a great and unique artistic style. Keep doing what you do and make more amazing art for eveyone!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 PM View Post #4 (Link)
ReturnToSender (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 9
Most intriguing I must say. It is as if you have captured those really weird and fantastic fantasy worlds you read about when you're a child in one amazing drawing. I agree with what you said about how water colour pencils blend. They do seem to work much better than your average colour pencil. Bizarre and utterly fantastic. Good job!
"Can love really travel back in time and heal a broken heart? Was it our joined hands that finally lifted Maria's curse? I'd like to think so. But there are some things I know for certain: always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can."~ Sally Owens, Practical Magic
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 AM View Post #5 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50
Thank you all so much!
And ReturnToSender, these pencils do blend better than the ones I used in elementary school, but I"m not sure what made me think they were watercolor. It's driving me nuts. Anyway, sorry.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:43 PM View Post #6 (Link)
princess snowwhite (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 1
Just loved it! Its really unique. I just wish the whisker of the cat was a little more prominent, its looking fade a bit. And two eyes of the cat are different both in shape and size which has added some kind of weirdness to your artwork. But you know sometimes weirdness adds extra glamour to artwork. So keep it up. Great job .
Old 02-17-2013, 05:06 PM View Post #7 (Link)
moonlight (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 10
Kel. At first, I wasn't even able able to get a catch of what this was...I can see eys, a paw...but this coudn't make much sense, when I saw its semblence while we were on chat, remmember.
But now, when I saw it with peace, and actually, understood, the way you have tried to put it all together, ...it is beautiful.
its one of the paintings that seek attention, if you don't give them what they deserve, you just miss a beauty. Like I did, earlier.

Frost.

My Blog! - http://teenspeakz.blogspot.in/
Old 03-02-2013, 09:40 PM View Post #8 (Link)
PieInTheSky (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 13
Critiquing art is always weird, because you feel there's no wrong answer... But here are my thoughts.

1. I liked the spiral/split nature of the photo, it really threw my mind for a loop. That said, I think the center of the spiral would be better placed at the eye, as a focal point.

2. You lost some consistency points with the tail (coloring it would have been ideal, in my opinion).

3. The different selection of hats was brilliant.

Overall, I appreciate this more as an exercise in creativity than artistic ability (though you obviously have both). Great picture!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 PM View Post #9 (Link)
HHarper135 (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
I like it! It's really unique! A few things though: It's a little hard to see the overall picture. It took me a while to find the hat the cat was wearing (maybe it's just me) and while a different pieces of the cat look super cool apart and together, it distracted me from the overall picture. other than that I really like it! I would totally put it on my bedroom wall! I bet it would've looked better if you did end up using water colors.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:01 PM View Post #10 (Link)
ukuleleblack (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 4
I think the mixture of styles and colors is what caught my eye. The spiral helped. I liked that I had to look for the hats because it made me see the details. The only thing that you might want to look over is the black and white tail area. That tripped me up. But I like your title, that really made me want to see this piece.