Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 06-08-2008, 01:10 AM View Post #1 (Link) SBS Magazine: Call For Steampunk Art
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
We're looking for submissions for cover art and interior art for the steampunk issue of SBS Magazine. We're open to any form short of sculpture of anything that can't be put on a cover. Here are the guidelines:

--Your artwork must be steampunk in nature. Google it.
--Your artwork must not contain any images that are either illegal or too gory/violent/sexual to be on the cover.
--Any medium of artwork is fine (painting, digital, pencil, photography, etc.), except sculpture, clay work, and similar things.
--We will take cover art, interior art, abstract art, single panel comics (you know, like they do in a lot of magazines), three-five panel comics (not to exceed that and not to go more than one line), and anything not really covered. We especially want cover art.
--Artwork must be black & white OR translatable to black & white. The magazine isn't printing in color at this time. Cover art may be in color.
--All artwork must be submitted as an attachment in a standard form of file (jpeg, photoshop file, gif, and similar) and sent to sbsmag@yahoo.com. Please put in your email what kind of art it is (medium and style, if relevant); you may include a cover letter if you wish telling us of your experience. We prefer scanned copies of artwork done by hand in high quality. If your file is exceedingly large and your work is bounced, please let us know and we can arrange to get the file some other way.
--The subject line of your email should say "Artwork Submission: Your Artwork Title". Please use this format because we have filters set on the email account so that everything is organized.
--You may submit up to five pieces of art at one time. Don't send multiple emails please. Put them all in the same email (if possible).

We're not partial to any particular form of art. Artwork will be chosen by any of the following reasons (though likely not all):
1. Aesthetic appeal (this does not mean you need to draw a pretty picture; abstract art is just as aesthetically appealing as pictures of pretty rainbows).
2. Fit (if we have a story that your artwork happens to go well with, then we'll take it over something else).
3. Quality (this mostly means the quality of the file sent. Don't send us a really crappy scanned copy. Try to present your artwork in the best way you can. Quality of the actual work you do is not necessarily accounted for, unless you draw stick figures and think it is the same level as Van Gogh.)

Art is by donation. This means that you're giving us the art to use on the magazine. This may change in the future, depending on the success of the magazine. We'd like to pay for the art, but at this point the magazine is primarily focused on fiction and poetry. However, you will get full credit for your work.

Please understand that none of the above reasons are set in stone. We might really like what you've done with a piece even though it has nothing to do with fit or aesthetic appeal (though the quality of the file will always come into question). If you can draw a funny one panel comic with stick figures, then we might take it. Try us. We're not stingy artistic types.

We look forward to seeing your work! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks!

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.

Last edited by Shaun; 05-04-2010 at 04:15 AM.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:42 AM View Post #2 (Link)
Crocolyle (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 34
I think potentially sculpture can work, if photography can (Take a picture of your own sculpture and send that in)... Just a thought
Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Yes, it can, but then it's not longer a sculpture, but a picture .

Tumblr!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:31 PM View Post #4 (Link)
blue phoenix (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Location: I live on a hobby farm with 46 animals, no I'm not jokeing.
Times Thanked: 14
Oh be Pacific, would you!!

That would be awesome if I could do it...
I think my work's good enough? Well I'll try!

Ah, but that's why it's so brilliant!
Because it's so pathetically dim witted.
-Fred and George

Arthur Weasley: Get out of the kitchen, Ron! Everybody's hungry!
George, Fred: Get out of the kitchen!
Arthur Weasley, to the twins: Feet off the table!
George, Fred: Feet off the table!
put feet back on the table

I love Fred and George!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:22 PM View Post #5 (Link)
GeorgeMichael (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 54
We should ask if anyone could do our "special idea" Shaun

Salem's Lot - Stephen King
A Game of Thrones - GRRM
The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown

If anyone is wondering, my boyfriend's internet is the absolute worst piece of shit in existence, and it causes my computer to slow down significantly anytime I enter the Chatroom. It also causes the chatroom to freeze anyway, so it's a bit futile to attempt to log in while I'm at his place.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:19 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Ask away. I'd love to get artists more involved in the site. Just because we're a writing site doesn't mean we don't like art. There a lot of things we can do with artwork from publishing them, making logos out of them, putting them on shirts, or heck, even using them for contests. MORE ART!

Tumblr!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.