Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 12-07-2007, 06:33 AM View Post #1 (Link) No-Critiques Warning For New Members
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
Over the past few weeks, Shaun and I have seen several instances of people who join the site, post their work......post more work, and then leave. Of course, this is a bad thing, because it means free critiques for them, and a lack of gratitude towards everyone here who does do their fair share of critiques.

So we've added a (friendly) warning message. Now, whenever a person who has not critiqued anything tries to post their work, they will see a big (long) message at the top of the page explaining how we expect them to do their fair share. They can still scroll down below it and post their work, but now, they can't claim they didn't know, and hopefully a lot of them will understand that this site is not a place to drop by for free critiques.

This warning will not appear in any non-Literature forums. It will also not appear in the Co-operative Writing section. And of course, if you've already done some critiques, you'll never see it.

A big thanks to everyone who will never have to see that message, because this forum would be dead without you.

Last edited by Andy; 12-07-2007 at 06:36 AM.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:20 AM View Post #2 (Link)
GeorgeMichael (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 54
*sigh*... is it just me or does anyone else actually want to see this message

Salem's Lot - Stephen King
A Game of Thrones - GRRM
The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown

If anyone is wondering, my boyfriend's internet is the absolute worst piece of shit in existence, and it causes my computer to slow down significantly anytime I enter the Chatroom. It also causes the chatroom to freeze anyway, so it's a bit futile to attempt to log in while I'm at his place.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:28 AM View Post #3 (Link)
Ichigo (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 32
*raises hand*

PM me for Poetry crits!! I've been super neglectful of this site for so long. Put me to work.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:33 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Okay.... Just keep in mind the people this is supposed to be directed towards.
Spoiler:
Important!

Writers post their work here so they can receive helpful advice from other writers. When you post your work, it is only fair that you also review the work of other people. You help others, and they'll help you.

We ask that you not post your work until you have given some helpful comments on the work of other people. Though this may seem restrictive, we've had people come here, post work, receive advice, and then leave without contributing anything. That isn't fair to the other members.

If you have no idea how to help others improve their writing, don't worry! Everyone has to start somewhere. We have a guide about giving critiques (reviews). If you read it, you'll learn a lot about how to help your fellow writers. You'll also learn some ways in which to improve your own work!

How to Critique

If you want to learn all the ways helping others will also help you, you can read this article:

The Benefits of Giving Critiques

And lastly, if you want to learn how to receive the highest number of comments on your work, you can read this article:

Improving Your Chances of Getting a Critique

We thank you you for your consideration, and for your help in making this site the best that it can be!

Old 12-10-2007, 03:33 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 121
-raises hand also-

I don't think I'm critting enough, see, and if you guys scare me into critting, it might just work! It just might work! It work might just!

We thank you you?

My mother is a fish.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:57 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Guessed (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 16
I haven't been contributing either way. << The least I could do is crit, so... I'll do some of that after school, hopefully. If I'm not too distracted by the End of Evangelion which I've been planning to watch.

Is it considered rude to crit and not to show your own writing? I hope not. :\
Click (There's cake. Really.)
Old 12-10-2007, 06:02 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Imelda View Post
Or y'know, you could make people post a critique before they do it.
We thought about that, but decided no, because it was too restrictive. Some people might decide to stay based on a critique they get.

Originally Posted by Guessed View Post
Is it considered rude to crit and not to show your own writing? I hope not. :\
Not at all. The big no-no is taking without contributing, which is like stealing. You can gain a lot of experience from giving critiques, but the key thing is you're also helping others out, so it's fine.

Last edited by Andy; 12-10-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:24 PM View Post #8 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

Times Thanked: 97
Nevermind new members. I should get one of these PM'd to me everyday to remind me to critique. I can't even remember the last one I did...
Old 12-10-2007, 07:30 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
As Andy said, we thought of having it set up so you couldn't post work until you critiqued. That is still an option for the future, which we plan to implement, but because we are a small site still we wanted to at least make things non-restrictive and give people the opportunity to decide on their own. When we have more members we'll likely be more restrictive so that people don't take advantage of a larger community.

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.