Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 08-16-2008, 05:13 AM View Post #1 (Link) A Few Suggestions, some of the new and some of the old variety
Alex (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 81
I guess I wanted to bring some things up.

1) Is there any posisble way to lock threads by members who haven't logged on in months?

http://www.youngwritersonline.net/sh...p?t=555&page=2

that is just ridiculous. There is no other way to say it. A member with 2 posts who hasn't logged on since January 16th has 6 crits all dating from July on. I know there is no way to 'force' common sense down some people's throats for the fact that no one hear has the wingspan to reach, but is there anyway to stop that. Its one of those things that makes me want to drip my face in hot oil, chop off my tounge, and lick my fried face for the shear ridiculousness of the act. I know you could always go through and lock them manualy, but I understand you guys have other things to do than locking random threads. This is more of a 'is there any way to program an auto-lock for members who have not logged on in, lets say, thirty days'. If a member comes back and requests their thread unlocked that is fine and dandy, or if it is a member going away on a vacation they could personally request the thread remain open for it will be built upon once they return.

2) In a way, a direct correlation to the previous topic. I really think that new members should be forced in a more direct manner to read the critique guide and I really think they should start with 5 points and not 10. Its not enough to post new work, but it also doesn't take 3 critiques to get the points they need either. We don't get many newbies ((1 or 2 a day)) and I don't feel it would be to hard to look at the first critique they make ((necessary before they post their work)) and see if it is acceptable. If so, then all is well and good, if not, then 'kindly' explain to them the correct way to go about doing it. I get that this has been discussed before, and that it didn't fly over well, but theres no harm in trying again ((I suppose...)).

3) What ever happened to awards =p ((I'm just kidding, I know you guys are swamped without George here. It doesn't help that your lazy as well =p. Just kidding just kidding.... don't eat me)).

I get that these things will make it harder ((maybe even much harder)) to get new members, and at first glance that does prove counter intuitive to our goal. But with all that being said, I would rather have 15 quality newbies come in than 75 newbies I want to beat with a mallet until one of them proves to me they're a mole. I understand you probably want to 'get the population up and then weed out the stragglers', and if so then who am I to tell you to change, but I hope you at least take these suggestions to heart.

Last edited by Alex; 08-16-2008 at 07:30 AM.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:43 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
1. A week ago I coded a popup window to appear whenever someone is critiquing a thread that hasn't gotten any replies in months. It warns them that a thread is really old. So yes, I have been trying to address this issue.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for old threads with recent replies. The suggestion is a good one, but slightly more difficult to pull off. I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, that thread has been locked.

2. I'll discuss lowering the starting point count with Shaun. I'm slightly in favor.

3. I haven't forgotten about awards. In fact I've sent two emails to Shaun in the past 3 days involving several ideas for monthly awards and a revamp of the contests section. He's just a bit busy with a certain overseas friend at the moment.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:42 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Alex (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 81
Andy, would it be ok if I hired someone to pleasure you? You really deserve it for all the work your doing appeasing douchebags like myself =p