Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 11-11-2014, 10:02 PM View Post #1 (Link) Some opinions on genetic engineering?
Jr.genius (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 6
OK, I want to know what most people's opinions are on genetic engineering. Just for the record, I think it's fine as long as it doesn't involve humans. I don't like the idea of being able to choose what your kid is like. Plus, a large amount of genetic engineering in humans involves killing human embryos which I am strictly against. So, opinions anyone!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:34 PM View Post #2 (Link)
attirandom (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
engineering is application of scientific principles and genes contain information about the functioning of the cell,so in this age of nano technology we are familiar with genetic engineering that could be summarized as altering the genes of a living organism. Although,still in its nascent stages,genetic engineering has allowed us to better understand god's creations.For the first time in human history,we are one step ahead of the diseases that plague the human civilization.It has given us crops that are resistant to diseases and pests and give a better yield.It is bound to take humans to much higher functioning capacity that will make the current homo sapiens look crude.Once even surgeries were looked at suspiciously ,deemed immoral but look at how many lives it has helped us save,genetic engineering is a revolution waiting to happen which will take people by storm.,probably as some people claim,lead us to immortality.

I agree with you mate on the idea of choosing what a child is like being absurd and seemingly immoral ,I mean who gave us the right to play God,it it the natural faults in our genes which lead to our individuality and on a broader scale to evolution. But I can't help but wonder,if every human was working to the best of human capability, probably even better then what is the harm. And personally ,killing human embryos doesn't seem really bad ,if it can lead to saving lives of millions of living people and even other fertile embryo.They are an occupational hazard

Last edited by Lykaios; 01-02-2015 at 06:39 PM.

Reason: double post
Old 01-21-2015, 06:04 PM View Post #3 (Link)
HRYJeans (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 2
I suppose I'm an advocate for the progression of our scientific understanding, but I get some people's issues with it. I don't want to simplify it down to "if people want to participate in it they can as long as it doesn't cause malicious harm", but I think here it's unavoidable. I mean, I don't want to stop a person's want to be part of science - but it's the harming side of things that worry me, especially when the potential of life (embryos) is being taken away during this. Though, I think that the long term gains are far greater than the short term losses.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:05 AM View Post #4 (Link)
JazzyRae (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 3
I'm really excited about the possibilities of genetic engineering. It can solve many world problems such as hunger. As much as I understand people's opinions on lab grown food, it could save lives. And it could increase nutritional values in foods so we get more out of what we eat and drink. It could make everyone healthier. Also, with the issue of cloning, I am against it used on humans, but animals that are used for meat is a different story. Instead of having to deal with the issues of animals mating, we could simply clone the animals that have the certain qualities we desire and make multiple copies. It would save time, and it would save us from some diseases in cattle if the original was immune. On the subject of immunities, it could possibly save people from diseases as big as cancer, or a small as the common cold. If we can figure out a way to manipulate certain genes or cells in the human body, it could save lives. I understand the debate with ethnicity, but it might be worth it. All those families who lost loved ones from diseases could be spared grief, and of course, the people would be able to have normal life spans and help make the world a better place.