Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 06-07-2017, 10:17 PM View Post #1 (Link) Big shoutout to everyone at YWO (a good five years due)
addictedtoreading (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 45
So the other day I was reorganizing all the stuff on my old laptop and I came across this site, recalling how often I used to go on here I decided to log on and go through some of my old stuff (out of curiosity, and procrastinating of course).

Needless to say it made me quite nostalgic, as I joined this site when I was quite young and new to writing, but the positive and constructive feedback I got on my writing helped me in ways that I struggle to find the words to describe. Everyone on here was very kind and friendly to me back when I was starting out, and were the first people to take me seriously about my writing.

I also cannot describe how useful the skills this site teaches you are (ie. editing skills) not just to develop your skills as an editor but to read and collaborate on various ideas, and discuss writing and technique among peers who take you seriously is a profound experience. I honestly wish I had been more active in the last few months.

But also just wanted to say to any middleschool/younger writers, don't give up, even when you think "writing isn't cool" or what you're writing is "bad", don't give up, go out and read more books, ask questions, think critically, write write write write and read read read, I spent a dark period of my life not writing, because I wanted to "fit in", but if writing makes you breathless, in the words of Rilke “you would have to die if you were forbidden to write.” then just do it, I promise it's worth it.

This website is wonderful, and I just wanted to thank all the older members/staff/admin that helped me when I was younger and even the entire YWO community. I owe a big thank you to everyone, because it was their support and praise that helped develop my writing to where it is today. I have been accepted into a six year English/Law degree program based on some of the works/concepts I originally posted on this site, and I couldn't be more excited. So yes, just want to say this website is amazing, and please, younger writers, don't give up

Please don't hesitate to message me if you have any comments or questions, I'm always happy to talk about anything reading or writing related. If you want me to look at your writing just ask!
It is not hard to write what one feels as truth. It is damned hard to live by it.
-Eugene O'Neil to Alexander Berkman
I am also a major Tumblr addict and have a collection of quotes (reblogged and stockpiled over the course of five years) that you are welcome to peruse
Old 06-18-2017, 09:46 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Lydia (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 9
I second this. I just logged on here for the first time in I can't imagine how long and I miss this site and the community which was brought with it.

Huge props to the creators of YWO.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:50 PM View Post #3 (Link) Re: Big shoutout to everyone at YWO (a good five years due)
TommyWilliams (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
This is really good to hear! Cheers folks.