Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Reply  Find Chapters

Old 06-16-2016, 10:40 PM View Post #1 (Link) Section 3
Emoijah Bridgs (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 1
Long afterward, I would become one of Hitler’s most ‘trusted‘ close friends. I would sit down and have long talks with him and discussing where he was coming from in sense of his emotions and views. All I did was listen. I was not anything else for Hitler – I wasn’t human. I just took the role and gave myself a popular German name, then becoming in close ties with Adolf Hitler.

So, much later, I was sitting across from him in his house. I had my coffee in my hands and I took some sips as Hitler sat with his legs crossed. He stared at the cieling for a while as in thought.

“So, tell me,“ I said. “After the person who gave you food left, what happened?“ I was Hitler’s pretentious ‘therapist‘ and he didn’t even know.

“I think my father and I had much more of an understanding after that, but of course, that wouldn’t be the last time we had a debate,“ he said.

“Of course not,“ I said.

“After a while, I realized at 11 years old I did not want to become a civil servant. That was out of my desire and I, in the right conscience, could not see myself sitting in a chair all day doing the most tiresome and monotonous paperwork. I began to put myself in opposition. I had a strong yearning to be an artist, because it was what I always wanted. But that wasn’t of his concern. He wanted his son to be like him and be a civil servant, so he didn’t want to hear it. But, no! I would not give him the satisfaction that I would give into what he wanted. What he thought was the ultimate solution of happiness was not the solution of what I percieved to be happiness. My father and I had completely different views and there would be a long time until I left the edge and tension go. I refused, starting from that age, to give him the fulfillment that he would control me.“

I nodded as he continued.

He leaned in forward to me.

“And I let him know that too, the hard way,“ He said. “He begin to get frustsrated with me because I was doing well in school. My grades were poor, my behavior was seemingly poor, and everything had fallen into pieces. Nothing was as easy for me anymore. He got angry with me one day after I came from school. I was defiant and he started saying, ‘Sie faul Arschloch!” (You lazy a-hole). He repeated it over and over again and I felt the anger swelling up in like a balloon sucking in the oxygen. He continued to spit his venom at me and ask why I would not continue with my studies and be smart so I could be like him. I yelled at him that I would never be anything like a civil servant and that’s when he whipped me.”

Hitler stared at me with an excitement in his eyes as he clasped his hands together. There was also some fierce intensity in his brown eyes as he was fixed on me. He leaned forward.

“He whipped me once, but I did not cry. He whipped me twice, but I did not cry. He whipped me three times, but I did not cry. He whipped me four, five, six, seven times but still not cry. On every whip, he gave a cry of frustration. I was winning the battle! I was winning the battle, because he could not do it! He couldn’t do it at all! He whipped me ten times, twenty times, and did it reach thirty? Thirty? I am not sure but I know that I lost count,” he paused. “But the Lord knows that I won the battle that day. I WON and he didn’t. I did not give my father the pleasure that he would get a single cry or tear out of me, the young Adolf Hitler. No, he would not get ANYTHING out of me! I won the battle that day while he yelled and screamed why I wasn’t crying. No, see that day the young Adolf Hitler made something very clear. He would not let his father control him. I was defiant. I was intelligent. I would oppose my father for the just cause that I believed in. I WON. I WON!” he cried. “How many times has he whipped me in my childhood – about a 100 times over the years? Huh? I tell you, in all sanity, no child could have put up with what I did. I was the strongest and had the most endurance of any child on earth. Paula barely suffered the way I did, the others died while they were young, and Alois Jr. left because he couldn’t handle it! Hah – I tell you. I will grow up and be the strongest and most intelligent man alive because of what I had to go through. I tell you. I probably am already if you think about it.”

He paused for a while and closed his eyes. “But I loved my father. I really did. But I just couldn’t live and do that. I had to determine what was sane for me – what I felt, in the right conscience, I had to do. And I knew it could not be a civil servant.”

Hitler led out a huge puff of smoke as he inhaled in his pipe. The smell of tobacco and the sound of silence filled the room.

August 2, 1914

“Germany declares war on Russia and the countries fire their first shots. While France may be in mobilization, Germany’s forces defend her against the enemies. There is a vast likelihood that Britain and France will enter the war soon. France continues to mobilize for war in the background. Austria-Hungary will stay in the war, defiant and other nations will probably come into play. The assassination of Franz Ferdinand by the hands of Gavrilo Princip, who was involved with the Black Hands started this dissemination of global conflict. When will the war stops, folks? All we know is that…”
“Hey!” the boys yelled.
Samuel had clicked the radio off. “That’s enough about the war for today before I lose my temper.”
“Daddy, when will the war be over?” Anah asked. She was sitting at her father’s feet playing with her dolls as the others were crowded around the table.
“I don’t know, Anah,” he closed his eyes and rocked his chair back. “I really don’t know.” But I knew.
“Why are we fighting, Daddy?” asked Delayha.
“You heard the man – because of an assassination,” he said. “I tell you we kill ourselves for the puerile reasons. May God help all these people and end the war soon. One assassination of some Duke leads all these countries to get ‘back at each other’ – I feel like this is some school fight I had back in middle school.”
Mother put the plates down at the table. “Samuel, it’s really not that bad.”
“People getting killed is not bad?” he asked, glancing at her. He was against the murder of lives in any kind of way.
“I’d say it is,” I said, stepping in the house with the bread basket.
“Woah, goodness!” Mother screamed out. Samuel whirled around in my direction. The children stood up immediately, not expecting me.
“Oh, sorry, was I interrupting?” I said. “I apologize greatly – I was just coming in to give the bread and the door was open…and I – “. I trailed off.
“Oh, no, no -no,” she said quickly. She took the bread. “No need to apologize.”
Samuel stood up and frowned at me. “How was the door open – I had closed it after everyone came in?”
“Oh, the door was open because I opened it” I said matter-of-factly, frowning. Then after an awkward silence ensued, I smiled at him and turned to the children.
“Have I missed anything?” I said beautifully in German.
“No,” they all said. The kids all crowded around the table just sitting there and taking interest in staring at me. But I didn’t mind – I like attention.
“I – I,” Samuel stared at me and didn’t finish.
I sipped my warm coffee. “God, it is awfully cold out there,” I said, sitting down. Everyone stared at me in disbelief.
“Did you want me to heat something up for you?” Hannah smiled at me, so jovial to give out open arms.
I never understood how Mothers did that so easily. But because I was Empathy I was about to find out.
“So, tell me,” I said after another sip. “How do you do that?”
She looked at me, smiling. “Do what?”
“You know, that thing that mothers do,” I said. “You know when they greet people and are so like… affable when it comes to hospitality.”
Hannah laughed at me. “I don’t know, maybe it’s a thing that comes with being a mother.” She heated up some bread and turned on the heater.
“What is that?” I asked.
“Česnica?”
“Aaahh…” I said. “Soda bread?”
“Yes,” she smiled. “You make bread for us but don’t know what this is?” she laughed.
“I am very uneducated – someone should have taught me about Jewish soda bread.”
I turned to Samuel. “Do you know when the war will be over, Mr. Bartholomew?” I said. “I’m interested in your opinion.”
He stared at me. “I don’t know,” he said flatly. I frowned. He was upset. I can tell people’s emotions. I kept prompting to understand why he was upset.
“Samuel,” Hannah hissed at him.
“No, no,” I said. “That is perfectly fine. The man has a right to be mad – this is one of the most insane things happening in history – innocent people are getting killed just because of one assassination! This is some crazy –“
“You know I am not even about the war,” he frowned. “I’m upset because a random man just walked into my house without permission and invaded my family’s private space.”
Crap. I got hyped up and enthusiastic all for nothing. I stare at my nails.
“Oh, I apologize, sir,” I said. “I have a tendency to-“
“No, don’t apologize,” Hannah said. “You are a very friendly man. Samuel, what is wrong with you? Tell me that for one.”
“There is something wrong with people randomly walking into our house – I have the value of about $20,000 in this house of jewelry and other things and people constantly want to be our little buddies just to get something.”
“No,” I said. “I assure you I do not want your money. I am nothing of the sort – I have a good life. Life is not all about money.” What the hell is wrong with humans - always worrying about green paper that they got from trees?
Hannah walked in front of me. “I apologize, we’ve just had so many friends and people that well, wanted to be our friends because we are apparently rich. And that was mostly were people like you,” she paused. “German people, you know, or non-Jewish.”
I am not German. I am not Jewish. I am not American or Hungarian or Chinese or Japanese or of these continents. I am Empathy.
But of course, I don’t tell people that.
“I understand,” I stood not bothering to leave my coffee and Česnica. “I will leave and next time I will knock.”
“No, don’t leave,” Hannah said.
I smiled and immediately sat down.
“OH MY GOD, HANNAH,” Samuel groaned loudly. The little ones laughed hysterically. Although, personally, I didn’t see that as very funny. The man thinks I want his green paper that is of no value to me.
“Samuel,” she said through gritted teeth.
“That’s fine, I will leave,” I tipped my hat over to her and took my coffee and the bread. “I hope I will see you all soon and,” I paused and leaned into Samuel, then speaking very quietly. “I have lots of green paper, Mr. Bartholomew. I just choose not to brag about it.” With that, I bid the children goodbye and walked out. Simultaneously, I was walking out of the house when an argument erupted of a mother and an Asian teenage kid who would later take the name of Mao Zedong. But that’s beside the point