Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 04-01-2016, 06:40 AM View Post #1 (Link) Chinthaka Nanayakkara from Sri Lanka
4a4a7a (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
Hello, I am a self motivated short story writer, content developer, creative writer, blogger and translator all rolled in to one.

As a Creative Writer I Contributed a series of Short Stories to Daily News, a leading National News Paper in Sri Lanka. The Short Story of Dying Jason, about an avenging dead soldier who kept returning to the battle field was particularly well received by the public.

The editors of Daily News appreciated my writing style, creativity and the carefully thought out story line. They encouraged me to produce more, addressing a wider readership. I obliged, and my stories continued to appear in the Creative Writing Column on a regular basis.

Campus Platoon is such another attention-winning Short Story in the series. Action packed, it is about a Second Year University Student who infiltrates a junior batch in the same faculty in order to understand unseen social issues among new arrivals.

Senior Student turned Insider, Chethi Senadheera bumps against something more serious than he originally expected within a junior batch; military intelligence. Plot thickens as spy meets spy and Campus Platoon steps in.

With a more refined approach to Creative Writing, I wrote My Sweetheart, effectively utilizing the literary instrument of Personification. Written in figurative language, it compares the Western European country of Germany to a violent girl with blood on her hands, and the story begins with an introduction to the deadliest conflict in human history: World War II.

The countless atrocities committed by Nazis capture the interest of a present day history student who starts to pursue the origins of the mass scale genocide of Holocaust. He starts to unearth facts about Germany to an extent that he develops an emotional attachment to the Fatherland. The feeling is reinforced when he stumbles upon Deutsche Welle, the International Radio and TV Broadcaster of Germany.

In fact, the whole idea is based on my own real life experience. At the time I authored My Sweetheart I myself was listening to Short Wave Radio Broadcasts from Germany and providing them my feedback in the form of reception reports. It became my favorite hobby and also succeeded in finding its way in to my writings as well.

My most recent short story is "A Tall Guy with Three Holsters" which was shortlisted for the Trilogy Award in Needle-in-the-Hay Short Story Competitions.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:08 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50
Hello, Chinthaka!

Wow, you have done so much already in the world of writing. I'd love to hear about how you got your first story published! I wonder, too, if the culture of writing is different in Sri Lanka than it is here in the states.

Are you working on any big projects currently?

I'd love to hear more about you, too! Do you have any favorite authors or music artists? Any hobbies outside of writing?

Welcome to YWO!
Old 04-04-2016, 11:39 AM View Post #3 (Link) Thanks
4a4a7a (Offline)
Novice Writer

Hi, Keladry. Thanks for the nice comments. And also very many thanks for your enthusiastic welcome to YWO.

You were interested to know how I got my first story published. Back in 2006, there was this very popular Sri Lankan News Paper; The Daily News (it is still popular), launching a new marketing strategy to reach out for young English writers within the country.

They started a Creative Writing Column that was open for everyone. No age differences. You don’t have to be a professional. The thing is that you have to produce good bit of writing that would be appealing to the readers. Boosting sales was their objective.

I took two weeks to write my first short story. It was based on one of my own experiences when I was in the Open University of Sri Lanka (Sorry, I did not graduate). The Story went under the title Campus Platoon. The Editors contacted me within a day. They were going to publish it, and they wanted another.

Four stories followed one behind another, and then suddenly the Creative Writing Column came to unexplained end. It was finished. So was my writing career for some time. However I resumed writing once again in 2013 (from 2006 to 2013 I did write, but never for commercial purposes), but this time with the sole objective of making a living. I met a number of very good clients who always encouraged me to keep writing and who paid me really well.

I have developed content, produced blogs, translated websites, written daily tech articles and so on. Clients fell in love with my writing because of the way I kept my language both simple and powerful. Mind you, I was not that always successful.

At the moment I have slowed down a bit, producing only a short story once a week for this charming short story website called Needle-in-the-Hay. The first story I sent them, they shortlisted for their Trilogy Award and had it published.

My hobbies had been numerous. Martial Arts, Short Wave DX-ing, writing to pen friends, Windows Paint…etc. etc. So far I have given up all of them. Well nearly all. Now my hobby is my family life. If I get time to spare, I write.

It would be nice to have a critique from you for my latest thread on A Tall Guy with Three Holsters. And hey, speaking about critiques I have found nice combination of words. Green is Great. Amber needs Attention.

Let me explain. Let us say a user in YWO posts his short story. We can just copy paste his entire story to our reply email and highlight the areas we like in Green and areas we think he/she can improve in Amber. What do you think, Keladry. I have done it. It is effective.

And in your free time, can you take a look at Needle in the Hay and leave a comment for my Tall Guy with Three Holsters? Please.

Last edited by 4a4a7a; 04-04-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Reason: Highlighting
Old 04-04-2016, 11:54 AM View Post #4 (Link)
DestinyVamp (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 9
Hey welcome man,
I hope you enjoy it here, I will like to read your work.
“I can be by myself because I'm never lonely; I'm simply alone, living in my heavily populated solitude, a harum-scarum of infinity and eternity, and Infinity and Eternity seem to take a liking to the likes of me.”
― Bohumil Hrabal, Too Loud a Solitude
Old 04-04-2016, 03:09 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
Hey, welcome to the site! You sure have done a lot. I didn't even have Internet in 2006 haha.

I just want to highlight, though, that this is not a critique:

Originally Posted by 4a4a7a View Post
And hey, speaking about critiques I have found nice combination of words. Green is Great. Amber needs Attention.

Let me explain. Let us say a user in YWO posts his short story. We can just copy paste his entire story to our reply email and highlight the areas we like in Green and areas we think he/she can improve in Amber. What do you think, Keladry. I have done it. It is effective.
It might be effective to you because it's quick and doesn't require much thought or time, but we expect a bit more from critiques here, and especially by people who clearly have a lot of writing experience and expertise as you profess to have. It's not helpful to simply highlight what you do/don't like or what needs work. An explanation of why something needs work or why you like something, would be a lot more helpful to the author.

Please take a look at how other people comment on pieces of work - they go into detail about what they liked/didn't like and offer constructive criticism to help the writer improve their work as well as their overall writing. You also need to make sure that your comments are understandable and clear.

Please read the Site Rules, the Critique Guidelines, and the How to Critique Guide as these will help you understand how the site works and how to critique properly.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:18 PM View Post #6 (Link)
whedon318 (Offline)
Novice Writer

Very interesting name you have there!
Old 05-12-2016, 12:53 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 88
Hello, I am a self motivated short story writer, content developer, creative writer, blogger and translator all rolled in to one.

My Man!
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders