Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 10-30-2015, 07:15 AM View Post #21 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
I've tried looking up groups on Meet-Ups, but it always seems a) a bit out of my age range (which I should probably just get over) b) inactive or c) not open/geared to fantasy, which is what I write.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:23 PM View Post #22 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
NaNoWriMo begins midnight tonight!

For any of you wanting to kickstart the month with some after-midnight writing to get yourself underway, we'll be doing Word Wars in the http://youngwritersonline.net/showthread.php?t=14851 from midnight GMT. I'm sure there will be a group for Americans to War with when the time arrives.

For those of you who don't know what a Word War is, it's quite simply where a group decides how long they will go away and write for (10/15/20 mins, usually), and whoever has written the most words by the time the time's up, wins! Easy peasy. And helps with motivation/getting wordcount up!

Looking forward to it, see you all tonight!
Old 11-01-2015, 12:51 AM View Post #23 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Ten minutes until NaNo begins (GMT)!
Old 11-01-2015, 07:19 AM View Post #24 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
I actually may bow out. I'm kinda feeling iffy about it. I'm realizing that the project I'm feeling most passionate about right now is actually an unfinished novel from earlier in the year called The Boy of the Wandering Island. I got stuck on it and figured it needed a rewrite--which was going to be my NaNo project--but now I'm realizing it was fine the way it was and I know how to continue it. I can probably still aim for 50,000 words, but it's not going to be a fresh novel, really.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:13 AM View Post #25 (Link)
sofiathewriter (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 8
Anyone starting their novel yet?
Old 11-01-2015, 02:34 PM View Post #26 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
I actually may bow out. I'm kinda feeling iffy about it. I'm realizing that the project I'm feeling most passionate about right now is actually an unfinished novel from earlier in the year called The Boy of the Wandering Island. I got stuck on it and figured it needed a rewrite--which was going to be my NaNo project--but now I'm realizing it was fine the way it was and I know how to continue it. I can probably still aim for 50,000 words, but it's not going to be a fresh novel, really.
Still seems like a good way to get a lot done! I like using these sorts of challenges to make me work on whatever it is I want to work on. The last time I finished "NaNo" it was a book of short stories rather than a novel. It wasn't good because I was in the 11th grade and wasn't good at writing then but ... whatever. It got done!
Old 11-01-2015, 04:52 PM View Post #27 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
I think I'm opting out... mostly because I want to focus on querying agents--which, granted, involves mostly sitting and waiting; but what free time I do get to work on my writing I think I should probably go towards that. Also, Fallout 4 comes out next week, and I know I'm basically going to drop all my free time into that for a good chunk of days. My word count will fall really behind.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:58 PM View Post #28 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
I'm doing something similar - I'll be carrying on with my current novel to the point I plan to leave it for a while, then I'll be starting something new for the rest of NaNo. I'll be counting any fiction I write during November into my word count. While there are rules, according to NaNo, this is really such an individual challenge, and perhaps more about driving individual motivation through an event than forcing people to adhere to rules. Really it's you who defines what's beneficial to you and your writing, and you can do that however you want.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:09 PM View Post #29 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
How are we all doing?

I'm about to reach 25,000 words. I haven't lagged this much before in Nano. I had a horrible last week at work and all I did after coming back home was pass out.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:26 AM View Post #30 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
I think I'm currently a bit drained with the novel I'm writing, so I'm just trying to get 50k for the whole month regardless of what project I'm working on. I'm about 6k shy at the moment, so I'm taking it easy.