Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 10-05-2015, 07:19 PM View Post #1 (Link) 'Allo there!
Mister Suede (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I'm Mister Suede, and I'm obviously new here. I'm currently working on a novel/book/whatever that I hope to one day publish, currently titled Fractured Reality.

Feel free to ask me questions about myself, as I am terrible at introducing myself.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:29 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Rose (Offline)
Crit Trash Collector

Times Thanked: 454
Hello, and welcome to YWO.

Hope you enjoy your stay here. (:

Um. Well. I have a few questions because I'm a curious kitty like that.

Where are you from? How old are you? Are you a male or female?

What's your favorite:

color?
Book?
Food?
Season?
Movie?
Band/musician?
Artist (if you're into art)?

And who's your favorite author?

Stuff like that.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:19 PM View Post #3 (Link)
sofiathewriter (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 8
Hi! Welcome to YWO! I'm Sofia, and I hope you like it here. It's really fun and helpful. Now, onto the questions! When writing, what is your preferred genre?

And what is your book, Fractured Reality, about? Who's the MC?

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:54 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Mister Suede (Offline)
Literary Newbie

To address Rose's questions:

I'm from the US, I'm a male (hence the "Mister"), and I'm 16.

My favorite color is lime green or quite possibly purple,
My favorite book is The Name of the Wind (by Patrick Rothfuss, who also happens to be my favorite author),
My favorite food is fried chicken,
My favorite season is summer, and NOT just because school's out then,
My favorite movie is The Pursuit of Happiness,
My favorite band is a tough question because I'm a fan of almost every genre of music to some degree, so I'll get back to you on that one...
And I'm not a big art guy, so I don't really have a favorite artist.

Ta-da!

To address Sofia's questions:

My preferred genres are fantasy and science-fiction when writing. Fractured Reality is an alternate reality / futuristic novel about how the human race (almost) annihilates itself via nuclear war in the not-so-far-but-still-not-close future, and then, in a desperate attempt to obtain the necessary resources to survive, creates a portal that takes them to another plane of reality where magic can exist and is utilized fully. I'll let the rest elaborate itself when I post it up, after I acquire 10 points. xD

The main character is a boy named Matthew Turner. Matthew is forced to enlist in the military (which has declared martial law due to war) and undergo a new procedure that will create supersoldiers. As a side effect, however, Matthew will eventually learn he has an amazing new ability - Something that no other person from his timeline can do.

Thank you both for the warm welcome, I think I'll like it here!
Old 10-05-2015, 10:18 PM View Post #5 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
I'm interested to hear you elaborate on your music & writing tastes. I haven't read Rothfuss though I've heard about him; who're some of your other favourite authors? Are you a Tolkien, LeGuin or Herbert fan by any chance?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:48 PM View Post #6 (Link)
RockerBunny (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 29
Hey there, Mister Seude!! Any specific reason you chose that name?

Anyway, I'm RB. Welcome to YWO! I hope you enjoy it here.

Questions... most of it's already been asked. So, let's see... Favorite TV show? Game (If you're into gaming)? Favorite subject in school?

The premise of your novel sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to reading some of your work.

Request a critique via VM/PM and I'll get to it as soon as possible.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:51 AM View Post #7 (Link)
Mister Suede (Offline)
Literary Newbie

To address lalodragon's questions:

I'm a fan of rap (on occasion), metal, hard rock, regular rock, classic rock, alternative rock, dubstep, electronica, and pop of many kinds. Most often I'll be caught listening to Daughtry, Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, 3 Doors Down, Tech N9ne, Stevie Stone, Prozak, Billy Squier, AC / DC, Guns n Roses, etc. I've got no real "favorite", but those are some of my preferred bands. xD

I read the first five pages of The Hobbit and wasn't as enthralled as I thought I'd be, but I do intend to give Tolkien another try. As for LeGuin, never heard of him/her, but I have read Dune, and, having endured its entirety, am also a fan of Herbert, although I refuse to read the sequel or any of its subsequent brothers, as I find them purposeless. (and, also having tried to read the second one, a bit... droney?) I can tell you that I'm influenced greatly by Crichton, who was formerly my favorite author before Rothfuss came along and stole the show. I've read Asimov and loved him, and I've also read Philip K. Dick and loved him as well.

As well as those well-known authors, I've also read book series such as Maximum Ride and Percy Jackson, and have drawn many ideas from their collective masses, although with far less gusto than others.

To address RockerBunny:

My favorite TV show is probably Castle. I don't watch a lot of TV anymore, honestly, so I wouldn't know for certain.

My favorite game(s) are Skyrim and Fallout 3 (although, once I build my gaming computer, I'm fairly certain 3 will be replaced by 4), as I am a huge fan of open-world gameplay and such.

My favorite subject, in terms of school, is science. I'm a huge fan of science. I've never been fond of English (Language Arts) because, as I live in a relatively small town, we focus very little on such things and more on sports and other activities. I learn relatively little throughout the years. xD

Also, thank you. I submitted Fractured Reality in its first iterations to Writing.Com, and it's been fine-tuned quite a few times since then, and I hope to get even more creative criticism and help from my peers. It's nice to see a place like this exists.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:28 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Rose (Offline)
Crit Trash Collector

Times Thanked: 454
Originally Posted by Mister Suede View Post
To address Rose's questions:

I'm from the US, I'm a male (hence the "Mister"), and I'm 16.

My favorite color is lime green or quite possibly purple,
My favorite book is The Name of the Wind (by Patrick Rothfuss, who also happens to be my favorite author),
My favorite food is fried chicken,
My favorite season is summer, and NOT just because school's out then,
My favorite movie is The Pursuit of Happiness,
My favorite band is a tough question because I'm a fan of almost every genre of music to some degree, so I'll get back to you on that one...
And I'm not a big art guy, so I don't really have a favorite artist.

Ta-da!
The reason I asked about the gender is because we've had some confusing usernames here (and on other forums too). I dunno if it was on this forum or another that we had for example blueboy but it was actually a girl. Stuff like that.

Purple is my favorite color too. And I LOVE chicken :3

Pursuit of Happyness (I believe that's how it's written in the title of the movie) is one of the few movies - along with Saving Private Ryan - that I can just watch everyday and not get tired of.

I'll be waiting for you to get back to me regarding music. My music taste ranges from The Vaccines to Beirut to Laibach, etc. So yeah. Should be interesting to know more about your taste. :3

Old 10-06-2015, 01:34 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Mister Suede (Offline)
Literary Newbie

I'll be waiting for you to get back to me regarding music. My music taste ranges from The Vaccines to Beirut to Laibach, etc. So yeah. Should be interesting to know more about your taste. :3
In response to that:

I'm a fan of rap (on occasion), metal, hard rock, regular rock, classic rock, alternative rock, dubstep, electronica, and pop of many kinds. Most often I'll be caught listening to Daughtry, Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, 3 Doors Down, Tech N9ne, Stevie Stone, Prozak, Billy Squier, AC / DC, Guns n Roses, etc. I've got no real "favorite", but those are some of my preferred bands. xD

Thanks for showing such an interest. xD
Old 10-06-2015, 06:59 PM View Post #10 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Originally Posted by Mister Suede View Post
To address lalodragon's questions:

I read the first five pages of The Hobbit and wasn't as enthralled as I thought I'd be, but I do intend to give Tolkien another try. As for LeGuin, never heard of him/her, but I have read Dune, and, having endured its entirety, am also a fan of Herbert, although I refuse to read the sequel or any of its subsequent brothers, as I find them purposeless. (and, also having tried to read the second one, a bit... droney?) I can tell you that I'm influenced greatly by Crichton, who was formerly my favorite author before Rothfuss came along and stole the show. I've read Asimov and loved him, and I've also read Philip K. Dick and loved him as well.

My favorite subject, in terms of school, is science. I'm a huge fan of science. I've never been fond of English (Language Arts) because, as I live in a relatively small town, we focus very little on such things and more on sports and other activities. I learn relatively little throughout the years. xD
haha, we listen to approximately the same genres but I have NONE of those bands. Shows how big the genres are.

I read the first three books of Dune. The second one did feel pretty droney at first, it went into political stuff and was way less interesting. But it got better! Then the third book pulled together the styles from the first two, and it was actually quite rewarding. Still haven't gotten around to reading God Emperor.

Philip K Dick is the best. Well, his short stories. Seriously amazing. His novels less so.

Ha, I was planning to major in English until I just didn't and ended up in biochem. Love it. Science writing is really cool too.