Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 12-30-2014, 09:59 PM View Post #1 (Link) Filler Scenes
emmajoan (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I know that what a lot of us as writers struggle with, and those are filler scenes.

It seems that a lot of people don't exactly know what to do with those, but what I've found that helps is incorporating character development into filler scenes or chapters.

Personally, one of the things that I struggle most with is character development. I have problems with deciding how to execute it and where it should go. My answer was; filler scenes.

So, if you want, try this out and see how it goes I guess. It works pretty well for me.

Does anyone else have any good tips on how to execute filler scenes?
Old 01-07-2015, 07:25 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Hm... I have a bit of a problem with the phrasing, here. If a scene is filler, it should be cut. Sometimes, you don't know that a scene will end up as filler because you have a goal for it when you go in, but it can end up that way if your goals don't pan out.

That said, just because a scene does not immediately contribute something to the plot doesn't make it filler. If you're writing an epic fantasy about overthrowing a dark lord and you, at one point, have two characters chat about the nature of good and evil, that's not necessarily filler (although if it gets preachy it probably deserves to be cut). That has a basis in the story's themes and it develops character.

So, I guess I'd say no one should be executing filler scenes. Everything has to progress the story in some sense, even if it's not directly progressing the plot.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:21 PM View Post #3 (Link)
pwhlee (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
I would imagine that any scene worth keeping in your story is either developing a character or adding things to the plot, either explicitly or via foreshadowing.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:29 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Demon Hunter (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 28
I concur with ^ and . It's all got to point the same direction as the plot. Good profile pic, Dabs.

I will crit upon request, but... Acknowledge: Though my punches may be soft, i will not pull any.

Professional Artist. Musician. Singer. Downhiller. Magician. No, I'm not a grown up yet, but I would give it all to be able to write the way I want to.

A Quick Reality Check
How to write Cliche Fantasy
ELEMENTAL: Characters.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:17 PM View Post #5 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Yeah, same here, similar to what Kurt Vonnegut said. Every word is adding to something. If it really doesn't, then it's unnecessary.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:33 PM View Post #6 (Link)
mell (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 1
I'm having trouble comprehending what you mean by a "filler" scene. A scene that advances character development is not a filler scene, it is an important scene. If you mean a filler scene in regards to the plot, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Actually, on that note, "filler scenes" are actually pretty useful. By "filler scene" I mean a scene that doesn't contain any plot, character development, or real conflict, it's more like (for a common example) the scenes in Harry Potter where nothing much is going on. It depends on what the book is, but they can serve a purpose. They serve to slow down the pacing and for the reader to take a break for a while. So long as the plot advances soon after, these scenes shouldn't be "cut".

Then again, as those scenes do "do something" - fix the pacing - then they aren't filler scenes. They have a use, they're not just there to pad up the word count.

Therefore, I agree with the other commenters. For a filler scene to be considered filler, absolutely nothing should be happening. It would be the equivalent of describing a rock in the middle of a sci-fi thriller. All filler scenes should be eliminated, yes, but not all scenes where nothing appears to be going on are filler scenes.