Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-12-2013, 11:47 PM View Post #1 (Link) Who wants to play the fun story game?
toomanykids (Offline)
Banned

Times Thanked: 0
hey everyone! this game is for fun

the basic idea is that two intelligent kids are talking about how a relationship should be (what would be ideal). and about the importance of taking action. this could be presented in any way. they don't have to be talking

so basically we take turns writing a sentence, etc. of a part of the story

usually this game (when i first heard of it god knows from where) is freeflow but this one has guidelines as there is a specific purpose

so many relationships are good, but some aren't, and this part of the story (serving as a guide) would be incredibly helpful to anyone

i know what ideas to put in, but i just have a really really hard time figuring out the best way to present those ideas, so i want to make it fun. one way to make it fun is to play a game like taking turn writing a sentence of the story, so you want to???

we'll do it over skype or something. thanks -- let me know

Last edited by toomanykids; 07-13-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:46 AM View Post #2 (Link)
Jazz (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 6
Well hello there. This is not the place for this game or a call for collaboration with other writers. Since you are new to the site it is but understandable. You might want to check out this section and this one too.
Also welcome to YWO! You'll figure all this out soon.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:49 PM View Post #3 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
toomanykids (Offline)
Banned

Times Thanked: 0
yayyyyyyyy!! my thread is so wonderful!!! i have ONE visitor thus far!! ONE visitor!! =) here's my guide so far which nobody will see =)

~~

{how to develop a worthwhile story} send complaints this way

questions/checklist you need to be able to answer:

did you start with a significant, innovative concept? have you studied the top 50 highly rated stories? in films, plays, books, etc.

have you written at least 100k words, and scrapped the first 40k (after all, they were meaningless)

are you creating something beautiful? what msg do you want to spread to make the world better? did you leave all the kids with a happy & positive lasting impression?

does the artwork follow these key rules? --

* character-driven plots > event-driven ones

* first person pov > all else

* talented dialogue, and narration only when you can't do better

* your pacing is on par because every line you write makes a difference (does it??)

** scenes: start on the brink of halfway in, and end 2/3 out

* never let evidence override the presentation

* metaphorically ingenious > semantically sensible > syntactically correct

* concise > wordy (no trite details)

do you understand why copywriting is left until the final revision, and is the very least of your concerns?

all anyone cares about -- how many secs did you keep our attention for?

like with all writing & story (art), it comes down to personal viewpoint.

Last edited by toomanykids; 07-14-2013 at 06:56 PM.