Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 03-30-2013, 11:32 AM View Post #21 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
All forums have issues like this - not everyone who joins will stay. I've joined nearly 20 forums in the last few years but I've only ever been active on three or four, and currently only one and a half. Sometimes it's just a case of not getting involved in the community, sometimes it's just laziness or other things. A lot of the people who join here only want praise for their work and don't want to improve, others might forget about the forum, or any number of things.

Don't worry about it though - the community is constantly growing (I've been here through several 'generations' of newbs) and people do stay, and some might disappear and then come back. Just because a large number don't stay doesn't necessarily mean we're not doing enough - some people just don't have the motivation.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:29 AM View Post #22 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 88
As for me, English is not my first language. Nevertheless, I stuck around.
In our country we have a system of critique, which mostly based on total praise.

Praise. This is a basic principle of communication between the members of writer's sites.
Just dare to write a hard-hitting critique - you're a dead man.
Say, someone writes you a praise, and you don't return the same coin - you are rascal and a scoundrel.
If your work is praised, and you writes in response severe and a fair critique - your song is sung and your career is over forever.

I feel more freer here and I found more interesting and constructive atmosphere for the development of my literary skill. There's a bunch of serious-minded people here. Most of them are worth to communicate with.
In other words, in my native sites, I have never received such a thorough and professional critique of my stories.
In addition, in my country there's a trend of indifference and contempt for writers and artists because many of them don't approve the government's internal policies.
I'm glad I'm here, but, of course, it is a two-way street: I have to struggle with English language and I don't know when will this fight end up, and I have a vague idea of who will win this battle.
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders

Last edited by Georgy; 03-31-2013 at 03:33 AM.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:29 AM View Post #23 (Link)
Squint (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 87
Originally Posted by Georgy View Post
Michelangelo said: "In fact, the only good statue is the statue, that rolled down from the mountain because while it was rolling, all redundant broke off."
Are you saying we should carbonize all the newbs after registration (like what Jabba the Hutt did to Han Solo in Return of the Jedi) and roll them down an actual mountain, until their unnecessary limbs (and appendages) break off???
Spoiler:
I like giving crits
VM me if you want one
Old 03-31-2013, 08:46 AM View Post #24 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 88
Originally Posted by Squint View Post
Are you saying we should carbonize all the newbs after registration (like what Jabba the Hutt did to Han Solo in Return of the Jedi) and roll them down an actual mountain, until their unnecessary limbs (and appendages) break off???
Spoiler:

You got the idea, Lol!
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders
Old 03-31-2013, 09:01 AM View Post #25 (Link)
lostbookworm (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 96
Originally Posted by Squint View Post
Spoiler:
My God.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:46 PM View Post #26 (Link)
Maroon-Back 313 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 21
... That escalated quickly xD

Also, my twin Ji, I love you

Aly. I love you so much it's ridiculous go away. Except don't, I'd be lost without your affection, your support, your excellent reading material, and your friendship

Kel! Thank you for making me think with every conversation we have. Thank you for changing my perspective on so many aspects of life. It's incredible how you do that

Carr. You've been acknowledged ... xD You're awesome and morbid and talented and yup. There you go
Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 AM View Post #27 (Link)
Anastasia (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 8
I am one of the people that doesn't stick around that long. I don't know why. I write sparsely too. But I am also one of the people that writing calls too, reading, this site too. I love it when I am able to critique a work of a fellow writer not only because I want to point out how badly done their works are. My main goal is to assist them in the trip of creating and acknowledging their mistakes. I want to help people to improve no matter how many posts they have uploaded. Truly? I think this is a legit problem, but it's not with us. We are welcoming and I think everyone here who is warm to the subject of writing and comes here over and over are happy to have new people be part of something that is bigger than us. Also, if the newbies that come here come here just to have another site to be a part of, well then. That's their problem. Not to mention that whenever you critique their story in earnest you get the assault. My goal is to help and recognize some of their mistakes as mine, as well. Whoever is true to this site will be coming here over and over like me. No matter how many days pass I always come back to assist and be assisted. If newbies don't do that and are here just to show that they are part of us, let alone their disinterest in the whole writing thing, then in my opinion we shouldn't bother with them. Nonetheless we should show everyone just how much we want to help them. If someone shows effort we should be willing to give them our best effort too.