Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 04-28-2012, 11:57 AM View Post #11 (Link)
willabee93 (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 1
In thunder, there is no such thing as safety. In the midst of an Earthquake, there is no shelter from noise. It swallows and envelopes. It surrounds and penetrates. There is naught that can escape the power of the bellows of the sonar. Be one deaf or capable of hearing, the sound WILL penetrate and affect a person.

As the building crashed towards the ground, the minute that felt as though it were an hour, it was not debris that killed her. It was not the dust or airborne silicone. It was not the seemingly endless gusts of wind that blew her back as she watched. It was the sound of those who perished. It was the bleating cries of her beloved coworkers, family and friends. The piercing shrieks and moans drove her to her knees where she tried desperately to block them out. She couldn't... It was too much.

Slowly crippling to the ground, she huddled within herself and breathed her final breath. As the final gasp of air escaped from her now decrepit lungs, bystanders saw the lights fleeing from her body. They watched as she evanesced to nothing. Her body was but wasn't. Though still physically there, her soul was gone in its entirety. All that was left of her was her empty, fleshy shell... the vessel that carried her though all that she had done.

Next word:
-- Death Himself --

Last edited by willabee93; 04-28-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:38 PM View Post #12 (Link)
Lizzie (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 34
I felt a luring over my corpse, a harsh breath on my bones. A shadow floated over my rotting skin, feeding on the life still left. A craning spine and spindly fingers hung above me, reaching for my chest. The needle-like fingers dig through my ribs and clutch onto my still heart. With a fierce twist and wrench, it's lifted and crumbles into ash in the ragged hands. A simple cloud of light is left hovering above the palm, like the moon's reflection on a clear night. It wisps around slowly and death himself fixates on it, the hollow eyes burning down on it. Where will it take me? I think.

"Onwards," it speaks.

Next word: Circus.
Critiques upon request.

Twins with Lykaios.

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Lewis
LEAVE LIZZIE THE LUNAR LIZARD ALONE.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:37 PM View Post #13 (Link) Circus
Mia (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
My eyesight was hazy. What had happened? One minute I was walking home and the next thing I see when i awake is a red and yellow haze. I feel the cold wet, rough ground below me. It almost felt like straw, hay even. When i fully recovered my vision i realized where id been, I was in a cage. A small metal cage, one that would maybe be for a lion in the circus.

Wait...... Circus! Thats where I was in the middle of the ring, inside the big Circus tent. Fully recovering from the blow to the back of the head I suffered, my surroundings were finally starting to make sense. That was until I noticed what had been sitting exactly 20 feet in front of me. On the other side of the cage thank god. What happened next was what changed everything.

Next Word: Baloons
Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 PM View Post #14 (Link)
SoulSurf13 (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 7
Angus had never been a happy man. Dead end job entertaining drooling brats at parties and his wife had left him in a rage, taking his house and car, leaving him with a whole in the wall apartment and a bottle of booze in his hand. He grimaces as he paints an exagerated smile in a blazing red over his lips. He slings open the door and slurps down the rest of his liquor. Letting out a large belch, he gets in his car and drives to work.

"Sit down everyone, sit sit sit!" Ms. Brody chirps, handing out juice to the awe-struck children, their eyes trained upon the bored looking inebriated clown before them. Onc they're quiet, Angus pulls out a small pack of baloons from his pocket. Without a word, he sets to inflating them. Half way through, angus let's out a hiccup, mid blow. The small baloon is sucked down his throat, choking him. He let's out a moan as he hits the floor. The children are bemused and begin clapping and cheering as the birdish Ms. Brody rushes around, seeking medical attention that would not make it in time.

Next word shall be: Smoke
Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 PM View Post #15 (Link)
mrluigi64 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

There it was - that same sound. Only louder this time. Kai couldn't describe it. a heckle; a laugh of some sort mixed with whispers. Whispers of the dead. How could he tell it was the dead? He felt it in his bones.

Once again, he heard the sound. Louder this time. Much louder. He could feel an icy wind breathing down the back of his neck, slicing into him. He had nowhere to go from the beginning. Trapped in this pit, his leg broken, what should he do?

How did he get into this mess? He remembered his friend daring him, a simple dare, to sleep in the woods for the night. The woods that no-one had ever returned from. He wasn't going to do it. His friend called him a chicken.

Funny what that word can do, isn't it? The boy heard the noise again, and as his body fell lifelessly to the floor, his voice joined the many others damned to whisper for all eternity.

Next word - Dreams
Old 07-11-2012, 04:25 PM View Post #16 (Link)
mrluigi64 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

I made a mistake - thought I was doing the word "Sound". Oops - feel free to ignore my story.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 AM View Post #17 (Link)
kellsbelles (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 4
They always seemed so real. She'd had so many vivid dreams before--why should this one feel any different?

The man she'd seen many times in her dreams before dragged her across the forest floor. The friction across her underside grew more intense, causing sharp pain every time there was a rock or a branch sliding underneath her. She thought she should be struggling against his pull, but her hands, tied tightly in a rope, fell lifeless under her back, scraping against the ground. Somehow she knew that the dream would be over soon enough; he'd get the deed done, leave her there to fend for herself, then she'd wake up. It was all a dream. Somehow, she knew even in her dreams that it would soon end.

He did it quickly this time. She didn't struggle; the dream would be over soon.

She could hear him buckle his belt as stood over her, leaving her arms tied up and her mouth covered with another restraint tied tightly around her head. She breathed evenly through her nose, looking up at him. Though she knew this was supposed to be absolutely terrifying, it wasn't. She'd been raped many times in her dreams before. They always felt this real.

But she knew as soon as he pulled out the gun that this time was different. Why aren't I waking up? she thought. The reality--and not another dream--had finally set in.

He pulled the trigger and walked away with a sigh of relief.

Her dream was over--only this time, it wasn't because she was awake.

Next word: pearls.

"Faces change, even smiles grow strange
And we all have so many faces
The real self often erases
Enticing lies flicker through our eyes..."
--The Scarlet Pimpernel

I critique whatever I feel like, but I will critique anything upon request.
Though I'm pretty new to YWO, I can critique the crap out of anything you give me.
Don't hesitate to ask.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:29 AM View Post #18 (Link)
cynicrylle (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

She went into the mermaids' cave as she was asked to. The cave was covered with shells, corals and gems. She looked further and spotted the massive pearl collection the mermaids had their wooden shelf. When no one was looking, The girl took the shiniest pearl she could see and when she turned around the glass mermaid that was chasing her appeared before her. Before the girl could run, the glass mermaid shook the entire cave and the pearls behind the girl shot her like bullets. The mermaid just sat on her corpse and vainly said "my poor pearls. Maybe I should a corpse collection next..and I'll start with YOU!"

next word: paper
Old 12-30-2012, 01:38 AM View Post #19 (Link)
Sweetrose (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Sam looked around. He was lead into a room, it was light, but there were no windows or lamps or candles.
"Lye down on your back." A man said behind him, who was holding a gun. Sam obeyed, in attempt to not get shot. The man walked out of the room, and at once, the room started to shrink. it crackled and got scrunched, and Sam realized that he was in a giant origami box! it shrank and shrank, and five minutes later, all that was left was a body wrapped in paper.

Next word: Unicorns
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM View Post #20 (Link)
Stormbringer (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 2
My first post

Resting in the green, Rick dreamily though about them. The steed's mane and pure eyes, powerful hoofs. A horse with a deadly horn.

"Man, they're beautiful," he mumbled dreamily, wiping his trousers of moisture. Laying beside him on the clearing, Isaac's eyes stared into the sky.

"You know," he continued, "they said we couldn't find them. That they didn't exist. And look now, we had seen them, experienced them."

Rick grunted as he sat up, while Isaac remained still. He observed, cautiously, the treeline. Inbetween the trunks of ancient, now ruined buildings, trotted one of these unicorns. He glanced left to Isaac and observed the round hole in his heart that bled red onto Rick's trousers.

"Beautiful."

Next word: Judgement