Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 PM View Post #1 (Link) Copyright Clarification -- YWO and Your Rights
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
It has recently come to my attention that a "rival" website has changed its terms of service to take ownership of work posted on the website. This is illegal for a number of reasons, but it also serves as a gentle push for us (the Admins and Staff of YWO) to remind all of you of your rights on YWO.

We do not, under any circumstance, own any words you post on this site. By using this site, you simply grant us the right to have your work made available to the public or to members (depending on the section -- for example: anything you post in the Common Room can be read by anyone; anything you post in the Members Only areas can only be read by registered members).

All fiction, poetry, plays, essays, lyrics, mp3s, images (that you made), and other creative or personally-crafted elements are YOURS. Period. If we would like to use your work for any other purpose, we will ask you. In some cases (i.e., if we want to publish your story or something along those lines), we will sign a legal document with you laying out the specific terms, which you may or may not accept (up to you). Remember that magazine we released? That's one of those cases where we signed contracts with members.

On this topic, we would like to remind you that you should NOT post fiction or other copyright-protected work (music, lyrics, etc.) on ANY website which claims ownership over that work in its terms of service. Do NOT do this. You have rights and you should not have to sacrifice them just to be part of a community.

That's all I've got to say to that. If anyone has any questions about your rights, our Terms of Service, or any other related legal elements for this site, let me know in the comments.

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Posted on TW in response:
COPYRIGHT CLARIFICATION :

Our recent changes to Terms and Conditions for TeenageWriters.com were grossly misinterpreted.

Following some confusion, and the severe misinterpretation of the English language; our recent posted TERMS, were improperly interpreted. Teenagers use websites like Facebook , Twitter, Google and countless others without knowing or properly understanding the TERMS and CONDITIONS of use because it is written in extremely difficult language to understand.

We have instructed our legal counsel to review the language and re post new terms and conditions within the next 30 days. I assure you that we pride ourselves to protect Teenagers and the work which is posted here daily.

I challenge our competing partner who posted false allegations yesterday to be more transparent and not behave in such cowardly manner. They run a self publishing Company and sell products which are in direct conflict with what they proclaim to be and I would caution against using such websites.

I as the new owner have received several threats, and unwelcoming emails. We will no longer be intimidated by such acts. It has also come to our attention that a number of authors actually use 3 of the top websites to canvas and steal ideas and written works and then proceed to edit and self publish in smaller markets.

We will address all these concerns in the following weeks.

You are 100% safe at Teenage Writers , www.TeenageWriters.com, The works posted belong to the author, writer and not to any posted website.

We urge you to contact us here

Thank you , Lorenzo

P.S. Dear Shaun , perhaps your energy would better be served in being more ethical rather than a coward and destructive person. I welcome your emails, not threats. I finally know who your are
I don't know who he's talking about with regards to a self-publishing company. Perhaps YWS. Regardless, this is the kind of thing you'd expect from someone with a power problem, not someone who has the best interests of young people in mind. Rather than saying "shoot, we got this wrong and we need to fix it," he's tried to claim the allegations were false and for competitors to be transparent (as if we were being secretive when I posted this PUBLICLY). Then again, I don't know who he's talking about in that line (YWS?).

The fact is that Lorenzo got something wrong. That happens. But instead of saying "we should fix this so it's clear what we mean, because obviously there are concerns," he's doubled down.

It's amusing that he's called me a coward for publicly reminding all of you about your rights and why you should be aware of them. Seems to me that this is quite an ethical position to take. Clearly Lorenzo does not know who I am.

Tumblr!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Should this really be discussed on the main forum? It feels a bit passive-aggressive to post this up here when you can e-mail Lorenzo about it.

Though, I appreciate the affirmation of our rights as contributors to this site.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

I don't think there's much point in emailing him about it. It's clear what his opinion on the matter is. I take issue with the ToS; he takes issue with me for pointing it out. Not much rational discussion to be had there.

This is all more or less to point out that YWO stands for the rights of the young and artistic. Period.

Tumblr!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Alright, that makes sense.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:04 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Lizzie (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 41
He said that there's going to be a new T+C update within the month, so we'll wait for that.

Critiques upon request.

Twins with Lykaios.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:14 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Alrighty.

Tumblr!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Lizzie (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 41
Also another update for those of you who don't know, everything he has posted has since been removed, however we have screenshots so evidence is available.

Critiques upon request.

Twins with Lykaios.