Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 06-24-2010, 03:23 AM View Post #31 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
Okay, forget that previous page that ranked users by points. Made some changes.

http://i47.tinypic.com/o0yq8m.jpg

Also, I (personally) am starting to feel like work on the update is winding down. Critiques are the only thing that remains to finish. Submissions, collections, and a whole slew of other things are 100% complete. Everything is almost fully functional now, and I guess you could say it's now in the "editing" phase.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:20 AM View Post #32 (Link) The Critique Toolbar
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Just like submissions, critiques will be divided into 3 parts: an opening, the main part, and the closing. This should help critiques be more structured, especially for newer members. It also emphasizes that critiques are meant to be looooooong.

I've made a little toolbar that will appear at the bottom of your window when writing a critique. It has five functions (for now).

http://i47.tinypic.com/14cqjyc.jpg

The first will take you to the beginning of the submission. For longer submissions, this should reduce mean a lot less scrolling between it and your critique.

The second does the opposite: takes you to the top of your critique.

Third is a word count tool. You can check how long your critique is at any time (and how many points it will earn).

Fourth is a feature people have been wanting for a while. You can save a draft of your critique at any time. Save a draft, log off the site, get ice cream, log back on, and your critique will be just as you left it. If you saved a draft of the same submission earlier, it will be overwritten. I'll also add a page where you can see all the drafts you haven't completed yet. But unless you're critiquing multiple things at once , you won't see more than one draft.

I'll try to add automatic draft saving every few minutes. Should be doable.

And the last button just moves the toolbar to the top of the page, in case you prefer it there.

Oh, and ignore the text above those boxes. They haven't been edited since...ever.

Last edited by Andy; 06-30-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:20 PM View Post #33 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Yesterday one of my summer courses finished, so I should be able to get everything ready for beta testing much sooner.

EDIT:

For now, I've completed comment functionality. Submitting and deleting works fine, and bbcode is 100% functional too. Doing this was FAR easier said than done.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2r2u83r.jpg

So comments can now be crossed off the to-do list. That leaves critiques and drafts as the only two things remaining.

Last edited by Andy; 07-09-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:10 PM View Post #34 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

I've added a ninth queue for Audio and Video, as discussed in this thread. The final Writing/Literature main page will look like this:

http://i29.tinypic.com/b8r5mx.jpg

The genres for Audio and Video will be:

Reading Aloud
Animation
Music
Performing Arts
Talk/Discussion
Podcasting
Other

Old 07-10-2010, 07:36 PM View Post #35 (Link)
J.L.A.Montoya (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 3
Just a quick question;

I like to critique by highlighting in red what I am targeting, with my suggestion on how to fix it in blue.

Considering points may be rewarded based on the amount of colored words, does this mean I'll essentially be cheating and should change how I mark the target, or no?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:47 PM View Post #36 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by J.L.A.Montoya View Post
Just a quick question;

I like to critique by highlighting in red what I am targeting, with my suggestion on how to fix it in blue.

Considering points may be rewarded based on the amount of colored words, does this mean I'll essentially be cheating and should change how I mark the target, or no?
I wouldn't worry about it.

We're increasing the crit-to-submission ratio and there's a cap on the number of points a critique can earn. So it will not be as big an impact as it is for the current system.

Unless you're really abusing it, like highlighting two paragraphs and then typing a few words, then I don't see a reason for a mod to step in.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:27 PM View Post #37 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Saving drafts is now fully functional. As well as the page where you can view your saved drafts, and open them so you can finish them.

View Drafts Page

The link to this page will work like the link to Who's Chatting. If you have drafts, you'll see it. If not, it won't even be visible.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:00 PM View Post #38 (Link) A Simple Critique
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

I'm 90% done with the ability to post Simple Critiques - one of the two kinds of critiques supported by the new update. So here's everything you'll want to know about it.

Please note that this screenshot was shrunk.

Typing Up Your Critique

This is the main page you'll see when typing up your critique. The submission text is at the top (along with the author's notes if they added any).

Below that are the three text boxes in which you can type your critique. They are meant to help structure your critique: one box for opening comments, one for the main part of your crit, and the last one for closing comments.

And always at the bottom of your screen, is a small toolbar. It will let you save drafts or check your word count at any time. This critique is a measly 136 words long.

Preview Your Critique

When you're done typing, you can preview your critique. Make sure it all looks right, and if you want you can go back and edit some more.

Submit Your Critique

Finally, when you submit your critique, several things happen. The critique is saved. The author is notified of their new critique. And you earn however many credits your crit was worth. Typically there's 1 point for every 100 words, so this critique only earned 1 point.

There's still a few things I want to iron out, ("1 points", for example) but for the most part simple critiques are done.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:41 PM View Post #39 (Link) Previewing Your Submission
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

As I mentioned before, the new literature system is very close to completion. Right now I'm mostly going back and making sure everything is in working order, and streamlining code so it will be easier to update and edit in the future.

All submissions and critiques will have a mandatory preview page, to reduce the odds that someone will accidentally submit something that they weren't finished with. The preview page for submissions has been updated to look nearly identical to what you'll see once it's finished, with an information box at the top. Underneath there are 3 parts: one for your introductory notes for people writing critiques, one for the actual submission, and one for closing notes. At the bottom are two buttons, one to continue editing it, and one to finally submit it.

The Preview Page

When you do submit it, a confirmation box will appear, mainly to prevent the possibility of double posting. You wouldn't want to spend twice the points to submit something twice.

Final Confirmation Box