Thread: Flower beauty
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 04:48 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Originally Posted by Kaerain View Post
Actually when I was younger I remember seeing different flowers in a field yet they never grew near eachother which was sad cause they were all pretty
Ok, so this is a painting from memory? The simple and sort of abstracted shapes remind me both of modernist art and of kids drawings. Not just drawings in books for kids, but the kinds of drawings that kids do, where everything is really conceptual. Like here it looks like the rose is represented by a swirl, other flowers by sort of abstracted and stereotyped petals. The thick black outlines reminds me of art in childrens books and art by children as well.

One thing that works in this piece is the way color starts to guide the eye. I like that the bright red flower is in the middle because it attracts my attention to the whole thing. I also like that a sort of dull/dark purple flower is in the 'back' of the bunch because it creates a sense of volume and perspective. But something about the colors is also a little bit unbalanced. Most of the darker, cooler colors are on the left and that makes the left of the bunch feel heavier visually than the right side, which has light yellow and orange flowers. You can use color not just to show what things look like but to create a mood or to guide the eye. I'd think about where the color is "pointing" when you make a painting. Duller or washed out looking colors tend to recede into the distance. Really bright colors usually shout, "pay attention to this part of the painting!".

If you were going for a realistic rather than an abstracted style, I'd suggest drawing and painting from life rather than memory. At least for awhile. Or try drawing and painting from life alongside memory, or as one method for re-creating memory. For example, you can look at lots of pictures of flowers to get an idea of what they look like from different angles, or go outside and do a few sketches of flowers from life. Then, you can sort of "cut and paste" those sketches on the page or in your head to make an overall painting that gets at something from memory.

It can be a lot more helpful at the beginning to draw from an actual object than a picture, and while you're still learning I suggest you give this a try as much as possible. Head out into a garden at your house or school or neighborhood park and try drawing the flowers that catch your eye. Draw yourself in the mirror. Draw your siblings/friends when they're watching TV. Your pets when they're sleeping. Draw random interesting junk on your kitchen table. All of that will give you new ways of looking at stuff and new tools for representing the world.