View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 09:12 PM View Post #4 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer
 
ScottyMcGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,754
Points: 30
Times Thanked: 176
Okay, I'm going to tell you right now, never do this again.

This isn't how to practice stand-up.

How do you practice stand-up?

If you're going to write, don't write it like this. Write a diary sort of thing, like an autobiography. Think someone like Dave Sedaris. Ramble about what you hate, what you like, what conflicts that appear with your friends in likes and dislikes. Try to tune in also with what annoys everyone in general.

Write down in a little notebook that you can carry anywhere any witty observations or humerous thoughts that come to your head during the day. Because I have once in a while thought of something funny and then completely forgot it because I never had the chance to write it down.

Then you practice by making a video of it.

No one else has to see it if you don't want to. Because stand-up is all about the delivery, and simply writing it down like a script isn't good enough. You have to practice not just what you're going to say, but how you're going to say it. Some jokes aren't funny if they are written down and read, but hilarious when said with a certain facial expression and tone.

This is coming from someone who has regretted not doing stand-up. I really wish I did back in college but I didn't have the time. About 90% of stand-up is building up material and practicing it. The other 10% is the actual going on stage part.
__________________
Only thieves kiss with their eyes open.
  Reply With Quote