View Full Version : questions about site
09-15-2011, 03:39 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this thread. Moderators please move this if this is not in the appropriate place. That would be lovely and much appreciated :).
Anyhoo, two questions.
1. Is there a limit on the length of a post? If so, is it permitted to break up a piece into multiple posts in a single thread (I am assuming this would cost extra points)?
2. How should I name my threads so that the "chapter-finder" recognizes them as installments of a single piece?
Thanks so much. Yours, Madalyn. ;)
3. What is the policy concerning crude language, graphic violence, sexuality, etc? :pirateread:
09-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Yeah, the Novels section's definitely the wrong place for this. xD
1. posts shouldn't be too long as it puts people off critiquing your work, as longer posts take longer to critique. An average of about 2,500 words maximum should be fine, but breaking up longer pieces is definitely recommended. And yes, each additional post will cost you points (if posting in the same thread, select the option that says something like 'more of my work' form the drop-down menu).
2. I've been here four years and never once used the chapter finder. I haven't checked, but I think the chapter finder was something that went unfinished as part of the beta literature area which is still under construction. If your posting each chapter in a new thread, just put the name of your novel and 'chapter 1/2/3/whatever' in the title, and anyone critiquing will easily find your work. They can also use the 'see user threads' link on your profile.
3. Crude language is perfectly fine so long as it is not directed insultingly at another member, so in stories, don't worry, it's fine. I've read some quite graphically violent stories here - we used to have some horror writers - and I think that would be fine so long as you put up a little warning at the beginning to say it contains extreme violence. If you mean sexuality as in LGBT, then that's perfectly fine, if you mean it in the sense of graphic sex scenes, then no. We don't do erotica here as we do have some pre-teen members. If it's not graphic, then like with the violence, just put a warning. I think you can decide whether it's appropriate for a young writers' site or not.
Hope that helped. :)
09-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Awesome, thanks. :)
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.